Xbox surround sound problems

Bsc4579usc

Estimable
Nov 14, 2014
I have a Xbox one set up with a Sony STR-DH520 receiver and Onkyo 7.1 surround sound speakers. The problem I have been having is that I recently just noticed that there is no sound coming from the center speaker. The Xbox one is linked to a projector through the receiver, but also has an optical audio input connected as well. I have tried every option I can think of on both audio settings to get the speaker to work, and short of running stereo sound on a 7.1 system I cannot get the speaker to do much of anything. If I switch inputs on my receiver over to my bluray player I get full surround sound with the center speaker functioning correctly. It's a very frustrating thing because I keep missing audio in games that is evidently not going through the intended center speaker.

Solution

Bsc4579usc

Estimable
Nov 14, 2014
I have the HDMI running from Xbox to receiver then receiver to projector. I also have hooked up an optical audio cable and tried disabling the HDMI audio and had the same incomplete results.

fastcountach

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
what does it say on the front of your receiver when using the Xbox? does it say "Dolby Digital" or "DTS" or does it say something like "pro-logic".
If it says "pro-logic" that means your receiver is not really receiving surround sound info and is simulating it and that may result in little to no sound to the center.

I don't have an Xbox one, but on my Playstation i can select which audio formats (Dolby, DTS, PCM, etc...) I want to output. Is is possible that you have the surround sound capable ones disabled.

Also, is there a way on your receiver for certain inputs to use a certain amount of channels. I know on mine i can tell it how many speakers there are regardless of how many are actually plugged in.

That last one might be a long shot.

Metal-Aria

Estimable
Nov 16, 2014

You're not the only one - I am now experiencing the same issue on my XB1. Pretty sure it's not your receiver/HDMI set up at this oint, but likely a bug with a recent update to XB1.

Solution