XPS 14 or m11x: Heat output?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kire

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Dell is going to replace my Studio 1458 but haven't called me to let me know which laptop they can offer me yet (all I know is it will be a new laptop). Looking at their line up the only two (that i know of) that match or exceed my current specs are the XPS 14 and Alienware m11x. Spec wise I know the XPS is better but my concern is heat. Anyone know how the XPS fares *heat-wise* when gaming? The best information I have been able to find was a review saying there was hotspots of 94F on the keyboard while watching hulu, that it got "toasty" while playing Mafia or on the Dell website it "gets really hot while running games and movies" while another reviewer says it doesn't

Basically, I had the XPS m1330 (5 mobo replacements in 2 years, what?) which Dell replaced with my current Studio 1458 which they are going to replace with something else... all because of overheating issues. And since my warranty just ended, this will be Dell's last chance to redeem themselves.

Specs if you're interested:

Studio 1458 (current laptop)
Intel i7 720QM (1.6GHz/6MB cache)
1024 (MB) ATI 5450

Alienware m11x
Intel i7 640UM (1.06GHz/3MB cache) **DUAL CORE**
1024 (MB) NVIDIA GT335M GeForce

XPS 14
Intel i7 740QM (1.73GHz/6MB cache)
1024 (MB) NVIDIA GT420M GeForce (thel'll probably offer this GPU)

Solution
The XPS lines are designed to handle the additional stress of gaming. They may run hot, but are made to handle it far better than typical notebook/laptop systems. The size of the m11x has pros and cons. For more general use, I would go with the XPS 14. If you are lugging this thing around a lot and can live with the screen size (gaming, movies, general use) then go with the m11X.

You can't really go wrong with either choice.

Have fun!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
First, don't be surprised if Dell gives you a refurbed Studio 1458. I had a similar issue with a Precision M65.

If they give you an XPS, both are good systems. The m11X is pretty small, you might consider screen size here if given a choice.

kire

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
The tech I last spoke to told me they would have to give me a new system because they didn't have something in stock at the refurb "factory" that would match or exceed my current specs.

I considered the size of the m11x and it wouldn't be an issue for the most part because I have a desktop but I feel like the performance is just too low to compare it to the XPS14 but the heat is what is "holding me back" on choosing what I should aim/negotiate for.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The XPS lines are designed to handle the additional stress of gaming. They may run hot, but are made to handle it far better than typical notebook/laptop systems. The size of the m11x has pros and cons. For more general use, I would go with the XPS 14. If you are lugging this thing around a lot and can live with the screen size (gaming, movies, general use) then go with the m11X.

You can't really go wrong with either choice.

Have fun!

Solution

kire

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010

True, but I was wondering if anyone had actually monitored and posted that info online. But it doesn't matter anymore since after talking to Dell they are in fact sending me a new XPS 14... so yay? :p

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Good for you on the XPS 14! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.