Okay so after like a year of usage my Lenovo Y510p started to thermal throttle. I first thought it was my GPU overheating, but after doing few tests it turns out my CPU was clocking at 90 degrees.. How do I fix this? Is it worth to repair or buy a new pc?
Are you able to switch between the two GPUs in the Y510p? (The main one plus the Ultrabay GPU)
Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue.
- Start by doing a clean install of the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Next is to uninstall anything related to Nvidia in Programs and Features.
- Once done, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: http/www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- Reboot your laptop once the latest driver has been install.
- After the reboot do observe your laptop and see if it would still overheat or not.
If the same problem will persist I would suggest cleaning the inside of it. Remove the dust off the fans and apply new thermal paste on the CPU and GPU that should help in cooling it down.