ZTE N817 SD Card not loading properly

TerriandMason

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017
I put a 32GB SanDisk micro SD card into my ZTE N817 phone and switched my storage location to the card but my apps are still downloading to the local storage. The phone sees the card and the location settings are showing a default download position into the SD Card but nothing is actually going there. Any ideas?

Solution
That would be because just inserting a card an saying download to it doesn't actually work with apps.

First, you need to be using a phone that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your phone, or they don't work for you, then you have a phone that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank...
That would be because just inserting a card an saying download to it doesn't actually work with apps.

First, you need to be using a phone that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your phone, or they don't work for you, then you have a phone that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Nougat".

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

If you don't reboot the phone, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

Solution

michele.e.ward

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
You've posted this answer several times and it's still not working. Is there a way around the restrictions?

Yeah. It only works if they didn't restrict the device, and sadly that is happening more and more. I know of no way around it without rooting a device, and that is not something I personally ever advise doing. Hence why I don't post that with my other info. :)

Rooting is something you would have to research and look into to see if it is what you want to do or not. Just know if the device is under warranty that will instantly void that. You can also risk totally bricking the device by doing it, along with many other possible problems. So do be wise in learning all you can before taking on such a risk.

michele.e.ward

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017