Avenetador

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
Ok so I need something that allows me to plug in 2 male 3.5mm cables and combines them into a single female 3.5mm out, I need the 2 audio sources going into the single to have their own volume control, I am trying to find something that will do that but I have no idea what to search on google. Please help!

Solution
You are looking for a mixer by the sound of things.

You want 2 separate analog outputs to be combined and then passed onto an input on a amplifier.

If you are the DIY type one(inverting) or 2(inverting then un-inverting) dual channel opamps and a handfull of resistors can do the trick. This basic setup would rely on the volume control within each device instead, but it could be added if needed.

Outside of the power setup, this is what a 2 channel setup would look like(it is a crop from a 6 channel version, but it is just the same thing 3 times in a row.). Non of the capacitors are required, but better safe than sorry.
2ldyp9d.jpg

nukemaster

Distinguished
You are looking for a mixer by the sound of things.

You want 2 separate analog outputs to be combined and then passed onto an input on a amplifier.

If you are the DIY type one(inverting) or 2(inverting then un-inverting) dual channel opamps and a handfull of resistors can do the trick. This basic setup would rely on the volume control within each device instead, but it could be added if needed.

Outside of the power setup, this is what a 2 channel setup would look like(it is a crop from a 6 channel version, but it is just the same thing 3 times in a row.). Non of the capacitors are required, but better safe than sorry.
2ldyp9d.jpg

Solution

Traciatim

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
It's called a mixer. You could search something like a 2 channel pocket mixer and probably find something usable. You might be able to build something yourself with a couple of cables and potentiometers but I'm not sure how good quality or usable it would be.

boju

Distinguished
I bought a cheap 4 channel DJ mixer from JBHifi for similar reasons connecting 4 computers to it when i had a lan once. It was pretty epic going through a universal stereo system :D

So you'll be looking for a DJ Mixer something like;
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/headphones-dj/mixers/alto/alto-zmx52-5-channel-compact-mixer/88852/

Avenetador

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014

That is close to what I need except I just need 2 3.5mm in then they both have separate volumes, and they are then combine into one 3.5mm output, pretty much I am trying to recreate the separate audio channels that turtle beaches come with, where one channel is game sound and the other channel is chat. Got any idea what else there is out there preferably under $50

Avenetador

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014

Yes I have game audio coming from the rear io panel on my desktop and my chat audio coming from the front panel audio output, Right now I just have two audio cables with volume controls plugged into a a 3 way headphone spliter, and my headphones plugged into the open plug. but I want a better solution for it, i have cables running all over the place. :(

nukemaster

Distinguished
Why did you set it up that way? Are you doing this just for the ability to adjust the volume of chat vs games?

Windows can control the volume of each program so that may be an option without all the cables(but not as easy since you have to use software).

A mixer(purchased or DIY) that can drive headphones would make things more simple(easy controls).

I have 2 computers sharing speakers via an opamp mixer(pictured), but it has NO volume control and no gain of any kind. It just keeps the devices from driving on another.

Avenetador

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014

The reason for this is that previous to my new headphone setup I had turtle beach headphones, I hated them in almost every way but I liked their mutli input audio channels with the game sound going over wireless and the chat sound through the cable, I essentially would like to recreate this with my current headphones, I know you can change certain audio channels through windows, but I want a physical way to change it so I am not alt tabbing out of a game to turn my chat down or turn the game up.

holyprof

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Might be easier to buy an external soundcard with volume control. Configure the chat program to use the internal audio and plug it into the external sound card, turn input monitoring on and you're done. The main sound will be done by the USB card itself, and the chat will get mixed from the analog input.

This might work if the microphone input can be configured to act like line input.
http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards/Xonar_U7/

you can likely create hotkeys or macros using autohotkey to handle the volume up/volume down via software but without requiring alt-tabbing. such as http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/56889-application-specific-sound-control-for-windows-7-rev-101/

say shift+alt+f1 lowers chat volume, s+a+f2 raises, s+a+f3 lowers game volume, s+a+f4 raises. you could do this on the fly.

if you want a hardware (physical) way to do this, i agree with the above, a mixer is going to be what you want.