300 watt 2.1 channel external amp?

Ironarmygeneral

Estimable
Jan 21, 2015
I have a stupid pseudo receiver (5.1 channel, RCA) that's only a 140 watt pre-amp, but I just got a 2.1 300 watt (two 100 watt Sony bookshelf speakers and one 12" 100 watt subwoofer, the subwoofer is passive) system that are over-powered compared to the pre-amp in the receiver.

I need an amp that would take in signal from the output of the receiver, and then output it as a 2.1 channel output.

Is there an amplifier like this? I'm just amplifying what my receiver outputs into a greater power output to get to the speakers. So I'm taking 2.1 channels of the 5.1 channels and amplifying it to 2.1 channels at 300 watts, when the total pre-amp power of the receiver is 140 watts total. I just hate having a 300 watt 2.1 system that can't be used to it's full extent. I would prefer the amplifier to be external so I don't have to worry about it being sensitive to things in the house. Doesn't have to be though. The cost is irrelevent, but I'd prefer to be decently cheap, around $50-$175.

Alternative:

Is there a 2.1 (or more) channel reciever for about that same price that has at least 100 watts for the 2.1 channel output? If so, I would like it to have bass control, line-in, (Maybe bluetooth), coaxial, (maybe HDMI), and aux in at least.

The speakers may not be under powered.
Power ratings on low end receivers are usually exaggerated and the power ratings of the speakers are not a requirement of their use. Most speakers have a minimum and maximum suggested power that they be used with.
Without model numbers I would guess that you might be under powered for the subwoofer but unless you try it you won't really know.
If you are running out of power then you will notice distortion when the volume gets to loud. Be prepared to turn it down.
To add power to the receiver would probably require speaker to line level adapters and three channels of power. The better solution if you are running out of power is to replace the receiver with a better one.

Ironarmygeneral

Estimable
Jan 21, 2015

I used it with the receiver I have and they work, obviously. I know what you are saying, I've always known that, but what I am saying is I want to use them to their full extent. The amp wattage label on the back of the receiver says 140 watt max power, but each speaker in the 2.1 I need are each 10 watts. I can tell just by how loud and how the sound that they are NOT getting the wattage they need to be used to their full extent.

Okay, if you recommend a receiver over a external amp, do you have any recommendations for the price rangew I gave?

Ironarmygeneral

Estimable
Jan 21, 2015

Also, there WAS distortion.