40" Sony Bravia x500 hdmi problem

bkerr1080

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I have a 40" Sony Bravia Hdtv and whenever I connect to my computer via hdmi the screen flickers for a second or so an I loose both audio and visual. This is especially annoying when I am streaming netflix. Ha anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

When you switch your TV to the HDMI input that the PC is connected to it takes a second or so for the two devices to "handshake" and then the picture & sound come back on. This is normal. If the picture and sound do not come on then they are not handshaking. This could be the cable. If it is a long cable this is very possible. It could also be a typical HDMI problem because many manufacturers do not adhere to the standard.

FrankieViturello

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I recently had similar problems with my 55 inch Bravia purchased in 2009.

I had recently updated the firmware (with all HDMI cables still attached) and I noticed that suddenly thereafter HDMI signal would intermittently begin dropping both audio and video in the middle of doing anything (Cable Box via HDMI, PS3 via HDMI, XBOX 360 via HDMI, Blu-Ray Player via HDMI).

As I had originally outfitted all of my hardware with $2 no-brand HDMI cables I suspected that there was perhaps some type of manufacturing problem with one of the HDMI's that was causing some ground or short problem on the HDMI controller.

So, I went out and purchased 4 HDMI 1.4 standard cables with ethernet to ensure that I was getting the best, cleanest connection. (I know that HDMI are digital connection and not like analog A/V cables, but a defective HDMI could easily cause handshake dropouts).

That by itself didn't solve the problem, so here is what I did. I'm not sure exactly WHAT fixed the problem but one of the below corrective measures did it. I suggest trying them all.

a.) re-flashed the latest firmware with all TV connections UNPLUGGED. No HDMI, no A/V, no Components.

b.) unplugged my TV for a minute and pressed the power button while it was unplugged to discharge anything left in the capacitors.

c.) unplugged all of my HDMI devices and pressed the power buttons to discharge them.

d.) reset the Bravia to factory settings by holding the UP Arrow on the remote control and pressing the power button on the side of the TV (it took two presses to reset and power down).

Then I re-connected all my HDMI devices and did the following...

e.) Turned OFF "HDMI Control" on the TV settings (the setting that lets HDMI devices control automatic switch-over to the HDMI device that was most recently powered on) - I suspect that THIS was the cause of the problem, but the above can't hurt anything.

f.) Managed the HDMI inputs and turned OFF the "auto" option for each one (which I believe is similar to the HDMI Control setting). I also custom labeled all my HDMI inputs while I was in there for good measure.

I have NOT experienced any drop-out of audio or video since doing the above!

I recommend everything above if you're having issues with a Bravia going black for 5 seconds or so every 10-20 minutes. with the key things being - a firmware update with NO CABLES ATTACHED, an un-plug to reset the HDMI controller on the TV, a factory reset to clear out any potential setting software errors, and most importantly TURNING OFF the HDMI CONTROL settings & turning the "AUTO" option off for each individual HDMI port.

Best of luck!!!

pawantelang

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
hello FrankieViture

i had the same problem with the hdmi connection of my 40'' Sony bravia led tv.

i just followed the the procedure what u have written here.

and surprisingly it is worked..

before that i had called both the tech support people i mean videocon d2h and Sony bravia ...they were blaming each other that their systems is faulty.

but finally i followed your steps and the problem is solved

thanks for this.

FrankieViturello

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

That's great!

I'm not sure if it was a botched firmware update, or the fact that the automatic wake-up/switch-over features of the HDMI ports are hypersensitive or get "false signals" from the always-powered HDMI, or maybe just a factory reset with the remote would have solved it ... but whatever it was, following all of those steps certainly can't hurt anything!

So glad that it helped you!