Solved! 4KTV HDMI Cable Advice Needed

thrawn327

Great
Jun 11, 2018
I have a 65-inch 4KTV and a 4K Blu Ray disc player which I bought in February of this year. Both are manufactured by Samsung and are HDR capable. I currently have video distortion issues with my TV which may require the TV to either be repaired or replaced despite corrective measures including switching players and video cables. While the tv is repaired or replaced, I am looking at replacing my Audioquest Pearl 4K HDMI cables with better quality cables. I am no expert on HDMI cables, but I am looking for 4K cables that are 4 to 6 feet long, HDR capable, better manufactured, have less signal interference, better coating, better plating, etc. I would assume that their are better quality and more reliable cables out there that would not cost over $100, a price which I consider overkill. To all of you cable experts and enthusiasts out there, could you provide recommendations on well built and reliable 4K HDMI cables that are not overly expensive? Thanks.

Solution
You want a cable that has been certified to meet HDMI standards
www.hdmi.org
If you want a better made cable that's fine but it won't affect the picture quality and in that length isn't likely to avoid handshake problems either.

martinch

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014
As long as it's HDMI "High Speed" or "Premium High Speed" certified, it shouldn't make a difference. The HDMI spec was designed so that cable quality makes no difference to image quality.

Nov 17, 2018

Nov 17, 2018
HDMI "High Speed" only certifies that the cable will pass 10.2Gbps. "Premium High Speed" certifies that the cable will pass 18Gbps. However, it does not certify the operation of the DDC line - the communication channel that carries the EDID and HDCP authentication. Nor does "Premium High Speed" certify the Hot Plug Detect line. Also, since HDMI has not released the HDMI 2.1 testing requirements (CTS) for cables, a representation that a cable is HDMI 2.1 is pure BS. I would suggest you purchase a cable that is DPL Labs certified. Only the best performing HDMI cables can get the DPL Labs certification. DPL Labs is a 3rd party Certification laboratory. They certifies all the functions of an HDMI cable and require 15% performance above HDMI's requirements. Check out their website - www.dpllabs.com.

drivinfast247

Proper
May 29, 2018
I've had great luck with KableDirekt on Amazon. If you pay more than $20 for an HDMI cable you're a fool. As long as it's a spec cable and works you can't get better.

I have paid more than $20 in an emergency and bought Rocket Fish brand from Best Buy. It worked just the same.