5.1 Surround or 2 channel analog

kenc195

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
I bought a new Pyle surround sound receiver (PT588AB) with HDMI inputs and 2 channel RCA input. My TV (Vizio E470VL) has optical and 2 channel RCA output, no HDMI output. Will I get 5.1 through the 2 channel RCA or do I need a new TV or receiver?

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
You will not get true 5.1 through RCAs that are TWO channel. The best you could get using the RCAs is virtualized surround pending your receiver has some form of signal processing as most do. Seeing as there's no optical input, you're pretty much stuck. You're either going to need to deal with what you have now, buy a new TV, or a new receiver (or both if you can afford to do so).

How old is that TV? Pretty odd that it has no HDMI out.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

First is that, you can not get true 5.1 surround sound from stereo, but why you want to do that anyway? connect your source to your amp then out to your tv. example Bluray-player to Receiver to TV, PS3 or PS4 to receiver to TV etc, etc.. If your source is stereo then sound is stereo, if the source is multi-channels then sound is multi- channel.

ps, sorry for editing late. lost the mark for this one when my tablet run out of juice.

Yes a new receiver will fix it but that goes back to my remark above. unless the receiver comes with virtual mixer/muxer, DPS/DSP or whatever they called then it will try to mimic surround sound from 2 channel stereo source.

TRENDING THREADS