Accidentally clicked a suspicious link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wobbleman1

Honorable
BANNED
Feb 3, 2015
I know this sounds really stupid, but I clicked a link on a YouTube comment by Ratimir Karadzic, and it downloaded a .zip file called 'file1'. I immediately panicked and removed it, but when I clicked to go on Windows Explorer just after I removed it permanently from the Recycle Bin, the icons on my taskbar flickered funnily. I looked on Task Manager and no suspicious task was running, but I am scared that there may be some malware running in the background which I am not aware of. I ran a 'Smart scan' on my Avast anti-virus too, and nothing odd was detected, but I am still paranoid about it. I never opened the file itself, I immediately removed it, but could i be that it was malware? Please help.

PS: Can anyone give me tips on what security software to have on my computer? I already have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and Avast Anti-Virus, is there anything else I should install too?

Solution
You didn't open the file so it's all good.

Avast AV & MBAM are sufficient. The more background security products you install, the more RAM will be consumed, which in turn adversely affects speed & performance.

Actually, I only have one online security package installed -- Comodo Internet Security. That's all I've been using for 10 years or more on all the PCs in my house. None of them have ever been hacked, browser-hijacked or infected with malware.
You didn't open the file so it's all good.

Avast AV & MBAM are sufficient. The more background security products you install, the more RAM will be consumed, which in turn adversely affects speed & performance.

Actually, I only have one online security package installed -- Comodo Internet Security. That's all I've been using for 10 years or more on all the PCs in my house. None of them have ever been hacked, browser-hijacked or infected with malware.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.