Acer Aspire One audio problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
When listening to any music file the music skips and lags. Youtube does the same thing, but sites like purevolume.com run fine. Also, movies running on Quicktime run fine as well with no audio issues. I also experience the audio skipping/lag in the games I run with this thing(WoW, UT, and Fallout). Is this a driver issue? My drivers are up to date. Or is this a hdd issue? Or none of the above?

Thx

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Er. . . the problem is trying to find what software you may have installed that has the problematic codec-- usually audio or video related programs. But some other games might do it too, although increasingly unlikely. What I would do is uninstall anything audio or video related (viewers, editors, codec-packages)

G

I'm pretty certain flash, IE youtube, doesn't use system codecs, flash doesn't like to use system anything, so I don't think that's the problem.

Getting the same issue and am guessing its slightly unhappy audio device drivers.

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Problems with intermittent skipping, that is, in some apps but not others, may have to do with which codec is being accessed to do the decompression / rendering.

Example: For mp3 decompression, the windows default dll is mp3dmod.dll. If this dll get's overwritten you can experience problems described in the original post. I only mention this because last time I encountered this issue, the fix was to restore that file. But there could be other non-standard dlls that could be causing the symptoms, and those dlls usually come in codec-packages or audio applications that are either inferior or otherwise non-standard.

kendo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I'll chime in. I bought three of these Acer Aspire One's for my kids for Christmas. All three were the Windows XP OS, with the 120GB hard drive. On all three I installed the same after-purchase software: Mozilla Firefox, Webroot anti-virus, Malwarebytes and AOL Instant Messenger. The Acers are not used for anythig heavy, pretty much just the AIM and YouTube videos.

I had this same sound problem develop on one of them within a week. I did a system restore and that fixed it, but I put the same software back on. The problem returned so brought it back to the store and exchanged it. The new has been fine, and I put the software back on it.

Acer #2 developed the sound problem last week. I tried to find a sound card driver update, that didn't work. I reinstalled the factory sound card drivers, that didn't work. I just did a system restore tonight and that fixed it. Now I'll slowly ease in the software to narrow it down.

The one thing I get suspicious of is Firefox. It asks for a Flashplayer update, and I wonder if that has anything to do with it? We'll see.

icarus72

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
This worked great. I had to follow the link in IE rather than firefox, but after reset everything worked perfectly.

I had tried nearly everything else, reinstalling audio drivers, etc., etc., and was prepared to do a factory reset. This link was like a miracle cure.

Thanks!!!

kendo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Awesome... it solved the sound issue immediately. The link didn't work in Firefox but worked fine in IE.

Many, many thanks.

bigtas66

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

I tried this software, I even bought it and I still have NO sound on my Aspireone w/Windows XP ???? I never saw a Audio Driver listed when using this software to replace???? Steve (tstevens@elp.rr.com)

G

Certainly, my Aspire One was PIO mode as the site suggests. Thank God simply reading the link guided me to update the registry without the need to download or pay for anything. I am glad I got it back to DMA mode. Too bad the audio problem did not get fixed completely. It does not skip any more, but it still sounds like out of the stall with some weird echo. BTW I am using k-lite codecs, which are really cool and have given me no problems with any other systems. In fact my AAO was running nicely with k-lite before a virus stroke. I cleaned the virus and then the audio was screwed. If anybody finds other ways on how I can fix this, please let us know.

G

Certainly, my Aspire One was PIO mode as the site suggests. Thank God simply reading the link guided me to update the registry without the need to download or pay for anything. I am glad I got it back to DMA mode. Too bad the audio problem did not get fixed completely. It does not skip any more, but it still sounds like out of the stall with some weird echo. BTW I am using k-lite codecs, which are really cool and have given me no problems with any other systems. In fact my AAO was running nicely with k-lite before a virus stroke. I cleaned the virus and then the audio was screwed. If anybody finds other ways on how I can fix this, please let us know.

.... and after re-installing the driver (actually I updated to the latest version of the audio driver from the manufacturer's website: http://www.acer.com) it all runs beautifully. From the link provided by citywireless ( http://winhlp.com/node/10 , thanks that did it!) don't download nor pay for anything. Simply read and fix the registry as instructed. That'll get rid of the skipping. If there's still a weird echo, reinstall or upgrade the audio driver. That really has to fix it, but if you still have problems after that, it has to be caused by some nasty virus, a strange codec or malfunctioning hardware issue. If so, each has to be dealt on its own.

tigremarino

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I have found that the right speaker of my AOA-150-1063 is way too close to the hard disk unit, and playing too loud music or sounds makes the hard drive crazy, giving out read errors to the SMART log and to the system (thus making it PIO). Acer should recall this units so the speaker can´t make interference with the hard drive unit, which can be rendered useless if the problem persists.

G

I have to agree with all the positive feedback. I had terrible sound and slowness and this link fixed everything like magic. WOW!!! The time and aggravation you saved me is greatly appreciated. Thanks for posting this solution!!!

G

the link not onlyfixes udio, youtube, winamp,etc. but many other problems and speeds up everything too. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.