lgfalco

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Hello experts! I'm looking to invest in a laptop for work and occasionally gaming. I want to keep it for the next 3 years, at least. For me it’s not an easy decision to make, I just want to get the best option out there that fits my needs and budget.

These are the requirements:
1. Budget: between U$1000 and U$1500
2. Size: 15” is the first option as I need mobility, but I also consider a 17” too depending on its price, hardware and weight
3. Screen resolution: 1080p, don’t need 3k or 4k
4. Memory: 8GB is enough now, this feature is normally upgradeable, so no worries about it
5. GPU: I’d like a GeForce 900 series, I’ve read they perform better and cooler than the 800 series. Also, want to play the upcoming titles, so updated hardware is preferred.
6. Storage: If it comes with an SSD + HDD would be great, but this is not a problem. If it has only HDD, will be replaced for a SSD (already have one), if it has room for a mSata + HDD, that’s fine too
7. Battery: It’ll be plugged in most of the time, but at least 2~3 hours is desirable
8. Optical drive: don’t need and if it has one, probably will be replaced by a hdd caddy
9. Games: Diablo 3, BF4, CoD: AW, The Witcher 3, Skyrim, etc.

Additional info:

- At work I use virtual machine (VMWare and Virtual Box), automation software (which can be quite demanding), Corel, Photoshop and other editing apps
- It’s important to have a good cooling system and great built quality. Don’t have brand preference and don’t know the quality of the Clevo notebooks and similar brands, if anyone could tell me more about them
- I’ll be travelling to the US in May and I’m planning to buy it there, online or in a physical store, so can you recommend any shop in NY or Chicago? (where I’m going to)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mugglensu1984

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
Sager NP8268-S (Clevo P150SM-A)

This is the best laptop I found that would suit all your needs and then some within your budget.

Sager_NP8265_thumb_sale.png
th
Keyboards-np-8268.jpg

Display: 15.6" FHD Matte

GPU: NVIDIA® GTX 970M [6GB] [User Upgradeable to GTX 980M (8GB)]

CPU: Intel® i7-4710MQ

Cooling: User Upgradeable to Copper Cooling - Extra Cooling Copper Heatsinks Applied to the Heatsink/Heatpipes

RAM: 1x 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory [Up to 32GB RAM]

Storage: 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD

Battery: 2+ Hours

Weight: 6.83 lbs