Adware running through internet browsers and Steam

uberskoobz

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
I got some malware, not sure how yet, but it when it popped up it is youradexchance or adcash malware when I was browsing in chrome. I have encountered malware before so I knew to just run Malwarebytes and it usually solves the problem just like that.

I managed to get it off Chrome and the other Internet browsers I had installed, but when I opened Steam to check out the Black Friday sales I was surprisingly bombarded with the adware there, and every once in a while it would show up in chrome as a pop-up too but chrome would block it. Steam is pretty much unusable at the moment do to some other issues with the adware interacting with it.

I have issues with audio ads playing that I cannot see or stop via the steam client, very loudly. I had this issue with Curse Client before and just thought it was Curse Clients fault which I later found out was false. I simply uninstalled and deleted all of the Curse Clients files and the malware went away.

I have so far:
-Run Malwarebytes (and searched for rootkits).
-Full Boot Scan on Spy-bot.
-Run JRT.
-Checked Registry on CCleaner.
-And one other I can't remember the name of.
-Manually searched the registry in steam and Windows for suspicious entries and found nothing.
-Reset Steam and Chrome

This malware is annoyingly sticky.

Let me know if you need any other information from me.

Solution
Steam isn't a very large program or something that is hard to replace, just uninstall and remove the registry files from steam, and then re-install it and see if the problem is still there. You can also look to see if any changes have been made to your host file, if not try adaware from bleeping computers dot com. You can also try rogue killer. If all those fail download the bit defender rescue iso and boot into so your whole disk can be scanned. Another nice one is decrapifier for removing unwanted stuff from your pc. If your problem is fixed installed WOT on all browsers that you use along with adblock pro or plus if you haven't already. Also disable Java and then slowly start allowing it to run on websites that you visit everyday. To...

uberskoobz

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

Just looked through everything running noticed a couple of things that I didn't know what they were and googled them, they were various Windows and Intel things and one that was another software I know I installed (think it was an autodesk process). I wish it fixed the problem :(

lfkfkfkffs

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014
Steam isn't a very large program or something that is hard to replace, just uninstall and remove the registry files from steam, and then re-install it and see if the problem is still there. You can also look to see if any changes have been made to your host file, if not try adaware from bleeping computers dot com. You can also try rogue killer. If all those fail download the bit defender rescue iso and boot into so your whole disk can be scanned. Another nice one is decrapifier for removing unwanted stuff from your pc. If your problem is fixed installed WOT on all browsers that you use along with adblock pro or plus if you haven't already. Also disable Java and then slowly start allowing it to run on websites that you visit everyday. To top everything else off install the free version of cryptoprevent its an amazing program that removes a lot of vulnerabilities from things that are known to exploitable. It will also lock settings in maximum protection mode not allowing any modification's, but for the most part default protection mode is enough for most users. Do not install the crypto until your computer is clean.

Solution