Android or Win8.1?

mikeb33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2002
I have a Nexus 10 now and am pretty happy with it. My Wife want's a tablet of her own so I figured I give her mine and get something new for me.
This time I would like a keyboard/mouse that docks with it, like the Asus Transformers. Nice to be able to plug in a USB stick or gaming mouse. I have been pretty happy with Android and really the only shortcoming is I can't play FPS games to pass time while traveling unless I bring my laptop. I know most tablets won't run BF4 and such, but if I could do TF2, L4D2, and etc, it would be fun. I was also thinking a little bigger screen might be nice, like an 11.6", but many of those are 1366X768 and that would pale compared to the Nexus 10 I am used to. That seems to rule out most Android units, unless someone can recommend one.
Also are there any decent FPS games for Android that I can use a mouse and keyboard on?

Solution
Personally, I would go with a Win 8.1 tablet when I decide to upgrade in the future from my 2012 Nexus 7. It's a nice device for media consumption like games, books and videos, but that's about it for me.

A Win 8.1 tablet like the Dell Venue 8 Pro is like a portable PC you can fit in your jacket pocket. The included MS Office Student 2013 version can allow you to do a bit of editing on the go with the optional digital pen to easily press the small icons. But the true power is revealed when connected to a USB docking port which allows you to connect to one or more monitors and keyboard and mouse as well.

I will wait for either the 2nd or 3rd generation though just to get a more powerful and energy efficient Atom generation CPU.
I would suggest the Windows tablet for no better reason than you would then have one of each in the household. For the foreseeable future, most games will continue to be Windows based but there will soon come a time when Android/Linux will support increasingly more of them.

My Android tablet came with a lead to convert the input socket into USB and I have a doubler into that for keyboard and mouse if I should wish to. So far, the only thing it cannot do that my mobile phone can is fit in my pocket. :D

Personally, I would go with a Win 8.1 tablet when I decide to upgrade in the future from my 2012 Nexus 7. It's a nice device for media consumption like games, books and videos, but that's about it for me.

A Win 8.1 tablet like the Dell Venue 8 Pro is like a portable PC you can fit in your jacket pocket. The included MS Office Student 2013 version can allow you to do a bit of editing on the go with the optional digital pen to easily press the small icons. But the true power is revealed when connected to a USB docking port which allows you to connect to one or more monitors and keyboard and mouse as well.

I will wait for either the 2nd or 3rd generation though just to get a more powerful and energy efficient Atom generation CPU.

Solution