Are there any advantages to watching my dvd's on HDTV? (PC)

Fowley

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
I'm going to get an HDTV, as both a tv and a pc monitor and I'm bringing my pc to the store tomorrow to try it out.
I've already tried a little bit, I just want to check out gaming on it etc.

Aaaaanyways... Is there any way I can use a HDTV to watch my dvd movies, like say "the lord of the rings" etc, that will get a better result than just watching it on an old SDTV ?

Thanks for any help you can give me...

cheesymangav

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Best thing to do would be to get an upscaling DVD player. This takes the your DVDs, and scales them up to a HD resolution, usually 720p or 1080i.

My friend just got this model

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000F4PF2O/202-1670532-0162236?v=glance&n=560798

and the results are pretty good. As far as I am aware though the quality of the upscaling chip can vary widely so its a good idea to see it in action if at all possible.

G

Any HDTV will have better image quality with a DVD movie than an old tube SDTV because of the native resolution. HDTV is automatically upscaling the image, plus it is displaying the image progressively (smooth edges). Standard CRT (Tube) TV displays the image in interlaced, which means you will get jagged edges and not a fluid movie.

Also, if you can connect a DVD player to an HDTV via component, DVI or HDMI, you are going to get a higher image quality than your standard SDTV.