Asus B400A with External Monitor & Keyboard/Mouse?

TipsyMcStagger

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I have an Asus B400A laptop with both VGA and HDMI ports. I'd like to use it at home with the lid closed utilizing an external monitor, keyboard and mouse.

I will probably connect the monitor via HDMI but what about the keyboard and mouse? The laptop has built in Bluetooth. Should I simply get a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse? Or do I need a wired (USB?) keyboard and mouse?

The goal is to keep the lid closed when using the machine at home. I assume I'll have to open the lid to wake the computer using the power button? Or will a simple stroke of the keyboard wake the machine?

TIA.

Tipsy

Hi,

I would suggest just using a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse which will be more convenient since there will be no wires lying around the laptop.

Next is to set the laptop to not do anything when you close the lid.
- Search for Power Option then on the left pane click on "Choose what closing the lid does".
- On the Define power buttons and turn on password protection page next to When I close the lid select Do Nothing and click Save Changes.
- Once done, go to Device Manager and make sure that the Keyboard and Mouse is set to wake up the PC.

TipsyMcStagger

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I ended up with a Logitech K360 wireless keyboard and a M510 mouse. I made a selection to utilize only the external monitor when the lid is closed (I didn't want the laptop display ON when the laptop lid is closed) and I configured the laptop to "do nothing" when the lid is closed.

The only issue I'm having is the need to open the laptop lid to wake from sleep. The keyboard and mouse will not wake the computer despite having configured the keyboard and mouse to wake the PC in device manager. I'm running Windows 10.

Any ideas?

Tipsy