Asus G46VW-BHI5N43 Performance Issues

tyler36

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
I recently bought the Asus G46VW-BHI5N43 which is very fast when plugged in to the charger. When I unplug my laptop and it is just running off of the battery the computer slows down a lot and I can only run civ 5 at 20-60 fps which is annoying. I believe it has to do something with the battery settings because it keeps switching to "Power4Gear power saving" which I switch to high performance but that doesn't change anything.

I was wondering if there anything I can do to stop the laptop from slowing down when I unplug it since I don't want to be charging it constantly since I've heard that's bad for the battery.

Solution

Don't quote me on this, but I believe I've read at the ASUS RoG forum (http://rog.asus.com/forum/) that the battery in...

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Of are gaming plug it in. discharging and recharging the battery for no reason is not good for it. The only reason to worry about the battery is if you will have it plugged in for a month at a time in which case you should just take the battery out.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe I've read at the ASUS RoG forum (http://rog.asus.com/forum/) that the battery in these gaming laptops can't provide enough "juice" to run the cpu and gpu at full power. The ac adapter on the other hand provides the required current for everything to run full tilt. So to the best of my knowledge, these ASUS gamers are MADE to throttle the cpu and gpu when on battery power only. But your best bet if you don't get a definitive answer to that question here is to post in the forum I gave the link to. They have a specific section dealing with the G55, G75 and G46 laptops (scroll down the page).

As for the battery charging constantly, I would imagine your lappy works the same way my G75 does (admittedly, yours is slightly newer, though). My laptop is plugged in 24/7, and it DOESN'T charge the battery constantly. The battery charges until it reaches 100% capacity, then the charging circuit disengages completely from charging the battery (not even a trickle charge like older laptops) until the battery level drops to 95%. Then the charging circuitry charges the battery up to 100% again. With my laptop plugged in 24/7, the battery only drops down to that 95% threshold maybe once a week (all batteries slowly lose charge even if not used, and perhaps the regular battery charges the cmos battery when the laptop is turned off, also causing it to lose that 5% charge in a week). Try leaving yours plugged in 24/7 for a few days and see if it does the same thing. My battery is about 15 months old, and only shows a 4% wear level.

Solution