Asus k450JN overheating ~90C

avil172

Estimable
Sep 14, 2014
My CPU= 4710HQ
GPU= 840m

Hello. My laptop gets overheat while playing games. Measured temperature with various softwares and all showed the same temperature. GPU temps always ~70C, so that's no big deal, but my CPU temps go upto 98C with 3.5 GHZ

with some tweaks, i reduced cpu clock speed to 2.4 GHZ, and temperature is ~88C.

If i reduce clock speed to 1.9GHZ, the temperature goes down to ~80C.

My fan is running ok as it should. vents are dust-free. thermal paste is good. I have checked everything.

Cooling pad reduces temps by 2-3 degrees but that's not enough. Can anyone help?

Solution
Laptops have very limited abilities to cool themselves. And unless they were specifically designed to be a gaming laptop, and even then sometimes, they simply cannot bring in enough cool air to stay cool.

That is why we have desktop PC's, with big metal cooler blocks with high volume airflow blowing through them, and other fans pulling cool air in, and even other fans pulling the warm air out. A PC can move many, many times the amount of air that a laptop can. Laptops were designed for things like word processing, web browsing, and maybe watching a movie every now and then.

MarkW

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Laptops have very limited abilities to cool themselves. And unless they were specifically designed to be a gaming laptop, and even then sometimes, they simply cannot bring in enough cool air to stay cool.

That is why we have desktop PC's, with big metal cooler blocks with high volume airflow blowing through them, and other fans pulling cool air in, and even other fans pulling the warm air out. A PC can move many, many times the amount of air that a laptop can. Laptops were designed for things like word processing, web browsing, and maybe watching a movie every now and then.

Solution

avil172

Estimable
Sep 14, 2014

thanks for the fast response.
yes sir. this is my second laptop and it has the overheating issue like my previous laptop. i am planning to buy a desktop, but its still a long way to go.

i would also like to add that laptops don't have many upgrade options, plus battery issues etc( i am having a hard time trying to find my battery replacement as its not available in my country- india)

avil172

Estimable
Sep 14, 2014

well, some games just run without trouble. such as ac4, ac5, gta v, but why bioshock infinite and wwe 2k15 causing this much heat?
also, i found that games that are capped at 30FPS are not causing any overheat, no matter how much resource they need, they just run very smooth at high settings.