ASUS Laptop keyboard coming up with incorrect input

Anthony_53

Estimable
Jan 25, 2016
I have a ASUS laptop that is running Windows 10, that has been running nicely for the last month when suddenly last night the keyboard comes up with all sorts of random characters.

Some are working perfectly, q works without issues, u comes up with 6u, and i will come up with the current time and date and i at the end.(eg 7:01 PM 25/01/2016i)

No windows updates have been done, and I did a system restore to 3 weeks ago and it still does the same thing (yet was working yesterday).

If I use a USB keyboard it works without any issues.

Help please!

Regards,
Anthony

Solution
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that I've suggested to others who had the same problem.
- Do a hard reset first before starting, remove the battery and AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds.
- Start by uninstalling/reinstalling the keyboard driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the keyboard driver then reboot your laptop. It will reinstall the driver automatically.
- Next is to make sure that Keyboard settings are all set to United States.
- If all these will not work try an external USB keyboard and see if the same problem will persist because if it will not happen you'll need to do a complete factory reset.
- How to perform Factory Reset: http://www.asus.com/ph/support/FAQ/1006133/
- And...
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that I've suggested to others who had the same problem.
- Do a hard reset first before starting, remove the battery and AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds.
- Start by uninstalling/reinstalling the keyboard driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the keyboard driver then reboot your laptop. It will reinstall the driver automatically.
- Next is to make sure that Keyboard settings are all set to United States.
- If all these will not work try an external USB keyboard and see if the same problem will persist because if it will not happen you'll need to do a complete factory reset.
- How to perform Factory Reset: http://www.asus.com/ph/support/FAQ/1006133/
- And if the factory reset will not work the only solution would be to replace the keyboard itself.

Solution

Anthony_53

Estimable
Jan 25, 2016

I have tried everything except removing the device driver, which I will try next before trying a factory reset.. I have tried the external keyboard and that works perfectly well, but isn't a long term solution.

I will let you know of the outcome shortly with the device driver.

Cheers,
Anthony