Asus Notebook X540S freezes up

Dec 6, 2018
I need help with a friend's Asus laptop. At first it wouldn't allow me to enter her password. But I was able to do so after a few restarts. Now it freezes 1 minute after I enter the password. I can't even engage the Task Manager. Any ideas on what this could be? Any way I could update Windows before it freezes on me? Maybe try safe mode?

Solution
How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly...
Dec 6, 2018
Could you walk me through how to engage safe mode? I've tried several times to get it in safe mode but to no avail. I can access the BIOS utility screen but not the safe mode.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

Solution
Dec 6, 2018
Thank you WebWorkings. But I'm still having a hard time getting into Safe Mode. As far as I know my friend's machine is operating under a Windows 10 OS (I see a Windows 10 Troubleshooting icon on the desktop). So when I try to press F8 (i've also tried F4) repeatedly it just goes straight to the log in screen where I punch in my friend's password. Am I supposed to hold onto the F8 key or hit it repeatedly? Any other advice on how to get into SafeMode? Thanks for your time!

Justin740

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

Ok to exclude software possibility from this, make a bootable usb drive with windows installed on it, and boot the computer off of the usb drive. If the restarts still happen, then it is most likely a firmware or hardware issue. I've had this problem before and it was due to too much undervolt in throttlestop and it wouldn't revert to default upon reboot so it was stuck in a loop.

To make a bootable windows 10, get rufus and download the iso on microsoft webside from a computer NOT running windows. grab a flash drive, follow instruction on rufus and try it out

I'm pretty sure this is a firmware/hardware problem, but to completely exclude any possibility with hardware, we have to do this.

Dec 6, 2018
Justin, thank you for your help.

Ok, so I've downloaded Rufus but am I supposed to run Rufus on a Mac or something and create a bootable flash drive from there? I'm a bit confused. Why can't I set up the software on a computer that is running Windows?

To make a bootable windows 10, get rufus and download the iso on microsoft webside from a computer NOT running windows. grab a flash drive, follow instruction on rufus and try it out

I'm pretty sure this is a firmware/hardware problem, but to completely exclude any possibility with hardware, we have to do this.[/quotemsg]

Justin740

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

if you download the media creation tool from a windows laptop, it won't allow you to create a usb bootable drive called windowstogo. IDK why this restriction is in place, but you need to download it from a device without windows to download the iso with this feature.

Justin740

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

[/quotemsg]

rufus is meant to run on another windows pc. you can setup the software on windows but the windows 10 iso has to be retrieved from a device without windows. You can also use ubuntu if thats easier for you. Download ubuntu from https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop install on usb and boot off of it on your friend's laptop.

Justin740

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

What computer do u have? As far as I'm concerned, you can download and create a bootable is, but it would be a Windows installation usb. But I wanted him to install Windows/other is ON the USB, and as far as I'm concerned, Windows Media creation tool doesn't download the iso that allows that kind of installation.

I have to disagree. It actually gives you the option to download it directly to the USB as well as other options. From the site...

Create Windows 10 installation media

To get started, you will first need to have a license to install Windows 10. You can then download and run the media creation tool. For more information on how to use the tool, see the instructions below.

- Using the tool to upgrade this PC to Windows 10 (click to show more or less information)
- Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC (click to show more or less information)
- More download options

Justin740

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

I'm not asking him to make a installation usb to install to another pc, im asking him to create a usb that has windows on it that he can just boot off of and immediately get into windows and have the usb as a boot drive. its called windows to go.

Dec 6, 2018
Justin I followed you advice, but nothing changes. I didn't use a USB because I didn't have any flashdrives that were big enough to hold 2 GBs worth of data (from Ubuntu) so I used my back up drive. I thought it would work the same way but my friend's laptop boots up like normal. I WAS able to get a few extra minutes before it froze up again but it still froze up after the Windows log in screen. I'm going to try and get a 5 GB flashdrive and try again but I have a feeling nothing will change. Any other ideas? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

rufus is meant to run on another windows pc. you can setup the software on windows but the windows 10 iso has to be retrieved from a device without windows. You can also use ubuntu if thats easier for you. Download ubuntu from https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop install on usb and boot off of it on your friend's laptop.[/quotemsg]

Justin740

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

[/quotemsg]

im afraid this is a thermal issue and maybe the computer is overheating and shuts itself down. While you try to find a big enough usb for ubuntu, take note whether the fans come on or not. Also if possible, go to the bios and check the temperature there, the bios usually gives the cpu a bit of load.

Dec 6, 2018
The below solution by "webworkings" might work but it was the following that really helped me get my laptop up and going!

"If it won't load in "Safe Mode" either, try the following...

Note: If this problem started after an update (or system reinstall), please make sure the laptop is not connected to the internet in any way before you use the following instructions.

Try the following...

1. Power off the laptop.
2. Power on the laptop.
3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
4. Repeat this process a few times until you see the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen.
5. Now you want to let the laptop boot to the "Automatic Repair" screen.
6. Click "Advanced Options" and then select "Troubleshoot".
7. Here you want to select "Refresh your PC", if you do not wish to erase data, or "Reset your PC" to erase all data and restore your system.
8. From here just follow the screen instructions until the recovery is completed.

NOTE: You will need to get into the "Advanced Options" in order to get the "Refresh Option". This choice will keep your data, but any programs installed will be lost.

Do not do a "Reset" as that will wipe all data you have on the laptop."