ASUS TP500LA keyboard backlight not working

mxrve

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016
Don't know when exactly the keys stopped lighting up, but might've been about a year ago or so. The lights don't work at startup or in the dark either and there seem to be no keyboard functions for them in this model.
The laptop just came from repair and the note that came with it said "This model doesn't have any keyboard backlight." which is just flat out false. They say they cleaned the laptop and tested it before shipping but that didn't help at all.
I'm running Windows 10 and I've downloaded the ATK Package multiple times, done troubleshooting, checked the keyboard driver for updates and with no results so far. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

mxrve

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

TP500LA-DN041H.

It was sent off to repair for the exact reason of the backlights not working, but for whatever reason they told me that this model has no backlights. I'm not entirely sure, but when this same laptop was repaired last year for a different reason, they changed the motherboard, so in that process they might've messed around with the keyboard as well. I know that before the first repair the lights were definitely working, but I'm not sure if they stopped doing so immediately or some time after that. Both the repairs were executed by the same company in the same place and though we did call them afterwards, they seemed to have little to no clue as to what is going on.
I got this laptop originally with Windows 8.1, but I don't think upgrading to Windows 10 has caused this, since I do have the newest drivers and ATK package.