ASUS USB 2.0 ports aren't reading, along with SD Card reader

Genovelasco

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017
Hello! Recently my SD card reader on my ASUS K501 laptop wasn't working, along with my usb 2.0 ports. However, my USB 3.0 ports read just fine.

I updated all of my drivers, and installed the RealTek driver for my SD card. I just about gave up, until (for laughs) blew dust out of the SD card reader and pushed it in significantly hard to see if it would read, and it did! Until I took the pressure of it. Is this a hardware issue?

Along with that, my USB drivers are up to date as well. Could this also be a hardware issue? Both SD card and usb ports are on the right side of the laptop, if that helps at all.

Running Windows 10.

Thank you!

Solution
sounds like a hardware issue, your laptop model has a separate card that controls those ports, the SD card and power jack. it's possible there is an issue with that I/O board. It would require taking the laptop apart to get to and replace. It may also just be a setting and
you can try these steps:
Enter your bios
Go to the "Advanced" Menu
Go to "USB Configuration"
Disable "XHCI Pre-Boot Mode"
Press f10 Save and exit
Boot up and There you go

But honestly, since it's the USB ports AND the SD slot, it sounds like it's I/O board is failing.
sounds like a hardware issue, your laptop model has a separate card that controls those ports, the SD card and power jack. it's possible there is an issue with that I/O board. It would require taking the laptop apart to get to and replace. It may also just be a setting and
you can try these steps:
Enter your bios
Go to the "Advanced" Menu
Go to "USB Configuration"
Disable "XHCI Pre-Boot Mode"
Press f10 Save and exit
Boot up and There you go

But honestly, since it's the USB ports AND the SD slot, it sounds like it's I/O board is failing.

Solution

mikef845

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
It could be wear and tear from plugging things in many times. But it sounds like the USB 2 controller has died.

Most people just buy a USB 3 hub that can handle SDCards. Much easier than trying to repair the laptop.

Abyss_

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
Hi~ I'm also the owner of an ASUS K501U Laptop and I'm having the exact same issue. For the first few weeks I bought the laptop, I was using my USB 2.0 ports on the right side of my laptop for my mouse (as most rational human beings do).

Suddenly they've stopped working and the SD Card Reader doesn't work either. I kept thinking it was an issue with not installing the computer properly but maybe the model is just badly made.

I have a question though. When I go to the BIOS and go to USB Configuration, there's only two options and neither is XHCI Pre-Boot Mode.

wyliecoyote59

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017

TRENDING THREADS