Asus UX305 not sleeping/hibernating when lid is closed

kizzilla

Estimable
Sep 14, 2015
For the past two months, my laptop has been running when my lid is closed. It does not sleep or hibernate. I've tried to change my settings to sleep and nothing happens.

Here's a video I found of another laptop with the similar problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb75s0KTlcY

Can someone help problem solve this?

Hi,

You need to check in Device Manager if something is waking up your laptop especially the wireless network. Here's the steps:
- In Device Manager expand Network Adapter and right click on Wireless then select Properties
- In Properties screen go to Power Management Tab and make sure that "Allow this device to wake the computer" is UNCHECKED.
- Do the same procedure with the other Network Adapter listed and same with Bluetooth.
- Lastly make sure that PC is set to Hibernate in a specific time.

Hope this helps.

kizzilla

Estimable
Sep 14, 2015

Thank you kindly for a quick reply. Unfortunately all the Power Management Tabs are already UNCHECKED and this still happens. Do you have any other recommendations?

Innovato

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've had a similar issue where the power light stays on regardless of whether I try to Sleep from the Start Menu or hit Fn+F1. When the symptoms first started, laptop would just shut it's screen off and power button would stay lit indefinitely (plugged in) but I couldn't wake the machine up - only hold the power down for 5 seconds to hard shut down. I've reinstalled Windows 10 at least 6 times now. Sleep worked immediately in the beginning, but there may be some Windows/Driver update which automatically installs (since it's Win 10) that may contribute to this behavior (I suspected the Asus ATK driver, then the Asus Touchpad driver at one point, but wasn't able to really narrow it down consistently which was frustrating). Now, I have noticed that if I put the laptop into Airplane mode first, it will finally sleep 14 seconds later. If I try to to make it go to sleep otherwise, the screen turns off, power button light stays on perhaps indefinitely (laptop is still on since I can get sound effects with certain key strokes sometimes), but if I hit Fn+F1 even after the screen shuts off, it will go to sleep around 14 seconds later.

I've regressed some of the updates, used the "wushowhide.diagcab" method, set wi-fi to metered connection to try to avoid whichever update is causing this, with not much success - i thought I had it figured out since sleep was working immediately multiple times in a row, but then an update started installing in the background again and despite uninstalling and preventing new updates, I am still at the 14 second sleep thing again which is frustrating and confusing due to the inconsistencies.

Innovato

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
After slowly updating Win 8.1 with all 200+ updates and not having any more problems, I randomly figured out the cause of my issues tonight when it returned!

BLUF: I had installed the Asus Router Printer drivers that came with my Asus Black/White Knight router for a Canon All-in-one printer to print a photo out. There was a persistent service ("UsbService" with the Description ASUS Virtual MFP Service) associated with maintaining a linkage (I believe) to the print server on the router that was causing these issues. After stopping the service, the laptop can go to sleep again.

What happened was I closed the lid to put the laptop to sleep, and then later had the turn the laptop back on and was greeted with a "There was a problem....dump files...Windows had to restart". I started uninstalling the programs I had installed tonight, but I noticed that i couldn't uninstall the Canon Multifunction Printer drivers as it kept saying to unplug the cable to the laptop (which was funny, since it's wi-fi to the Asus Black/White Knight router, then usb to the printer). So I tried removing the printer from the Devices and Printers, but noticed that Windows kept trying to reinstall the printer shortly afterwards. Windows was also making the device connected/disconnected chime whenever I resumed from sleep and deactivating Airplane mode which was a tad odd (as I was testing the sleep functionality after every uninstall).

I suppose while inconvenient for printing, I don't use the printer all that often, and can just turn on the Asus Virtual MFP Service manually whenever I need it. I wonder if Asus knows about this?