AT&T Backs Verizon and Google On Net Neutrality

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Honestly, who cares what the customer thinks! They can shove dial-up speeds down our throats, filtering content out of the wazoo, and there is NOTHING the end user can do about it.

I mean what are you, the customer, going to do... invent your own Internet?

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Its a valid point...in a way....i can see its easier to regulate braodband since the demand is more stable but the fact that wireless is booming like crazy isn't it an argument to regulate it and avoid abuses??

G

absolutely not, this is an externalization and violation of the commons!
the internet is defined by protocol and a widescale network declaring that the physical protocol is limiting is at best fictious especially seeing as a large portion of bandwidth was opened in 2008. this is att,verizon and google trying to justify charging more money for services and in the process destroying our freedoms on the internet! this is the definition of privatizing a COMMON!! commons belong to the people they want the internet to be corperate ruled!

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Wireless is different. There is a fair way to regulate capacity vs demand, and its not by throttleing traffic at the ISP level, or making elite tiers for use. Try not selling your users snake oil to start. Upgrade to the smartphone plan, with blazing 7mb speeds and unlimited download's, only $39.99*

*7mb speed only guaranteed for first 2ms of any transfer if you standing under a cell tower between the hours of 2am and 4am, unlimited downloads refers to email only, all other downloads cost $10/gig

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
They do have a good point. Wireless networks are MUCH more complicated, cost a lot more, and definitely, at this point and time, cannot support the vast amount of users coming in. This is evident by nearly all wireless companies removing their unlimited data plans.

BUT, one day I do believe wireless networks will be just a robust as wired networks... and when that day comes, I hope they are treated the same.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Well I'm sure the two major cellular companies are neutral parties in this matter and we should respect their completely unbiased opinion.
Next up, Apple explaining how sweatshops are beneficial for everyone.

manitutps

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
They argued about the same thing when wired internet was booming and lost. Same story different technology. But now with all the money they have behind them, politicians in their pockets I'm afraid "WE THE PEOPLE" will loose a great deal of internet freedom, content censorship besides the fact they are already getting rid of unlimited wireless bandwidth. Who in their right mind as a consumer will agree with what they say and want? If you do then may god open your eyes!

manitutps

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Oh wait a minute now-a-days it's "WE THE CORPORATION" NOT we the people. I think there have is a bill in the Senate to changed that in the Constitution.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Wow, AT&T wants the ability to throttle their customers internet speeds AND they want to charge content providers for it? Why am I not surprised.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
since we'll be going wireless pretty much everywhere in 20 years with speeds of 20Mbps, yeah, let the wireless isp's get the early control of all things wireless...

does that sound fair to you???

G

Time Warner tried to pull off the same thing and try to control how much traffic we can have. Within a few days they had to take it back because they had so much opposition.

And quite honestly, who is surprised that AT&T decided to join to crash the party. The only thing they are good at is not listening to their customers. They have consistently proven that they are all about money.

manitutps

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
I'm waiting for MagicJack to join the wireless cell phone wagon so I can paid $20 a year for unlimited calls to anywhere in the world. And as an added bonus for just $20 more you get unlimited txt and wireless broadband. Yes people for just $40 dollars a year you get unlimited phone, txt and internet. And if you think it can't get better than that think again. You can use your existing iphone, android or whatever phone you have with no contract to sign or activation fee.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
it all ties together in the end... so there should not be a distinction between wired and wireless... and to that note would my home wireless network fall under the same category considered "wireless" or is this only for ISPs because they are "special". If so what about their ISPs?

Status
Not open for further replies.