Audio-Technica AT2020, What do I need and will I be able to use it with my current setup?

SemkeHG

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015
Hello, I stream quite often on twitch and I was looking into buying a standalone microphone to help improve the quality of my stream. From the research I done I found out the best microphone for me would be the Audio-Technica AT2020, however after checking some of the questions/reviews on amazon I saw that it used an XLR cable and some other questions regarding the sound card of a PC. Therefore I need help figuring out whether I will need anything such as a mixer, new sound card or if I am fine using the microphone with my current setup.

My current setup is:

Intel i7 4790k
EVGA GTX 970 SC
Asus H81M-Plus
8GB (2x4) DDR3 1600Mhz
500w FSP 80+

And most importantly I am pretty sure I do not have a sound card however here is what comes up in my "Sound, video and game controllers" Tab in the Device Manager:
http://imgur.com/kYsW85b

I appreciate any help, thank you :)

Solution
you can not use the atr2020 xlr version without either a usb mixer/audio interface or at minimum an adapter which provides 48v phantom power. the xlr version is certainly good and having physical controls of a mixer are certainly great but not everyone wants such a setup.

if you want the 2020 but do not want an interface, look at the atr2020usb or atr2020usbplus (plus version ads 3.5mm port for listening to your voice)

no, you do not have a soundcard, you have onboard audio (on your motherboard). in any case, a soundcard would not benefit neither the xlr nor usb version of the microphone.
you can not use the atr2020 xlr version without either a usb mixer/audio interface or at minimum an adapter which provides 48v phantom power. the xlr version is certainly good and having physical controls of a mixer are certainly great but not everyone wants such a setup.

if you want the 2020 but do not want an interface, look at the atr2020usb or atr2020usbplus (plus version ads 3.5mm port for listening to your voice)

no, you do not have a soundcard, you have onboard audio (on your motherboard). in any case, a soundcard would not benefit neither the xlr nor usb version of the microphone.

Solution

giantbucket

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
the AT2020 needs phantom power, which is 48V sent using that XLR connector. you'd need an external phantom power box or a mixer with a mic pre-amp, but those can be had cheaply (like Behringer units, look through the offering at www.Sweetwater.com)

if you're on a budget, i'd skip the 2020 and get a plain dynamic mic that plugs into your mic input on the motherboard (i think it's the red or pink connector on the back). you can buy some affordable pro-audio mics for fairly cheap, like a Shure SM57, though i've not used mine in years (i have the AT2020, AT3035, and SM57 for recording guitars)

SemkeHG

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015

Thank you, I will look into getting a mixer also then! If it gets outside my price range then I will consider the USB version.