Status
Not open for further replies.

hardtech

Estimable
Apr 13, 2014
Hi All,

We have POP3 accounts which deletes mails from server every 14 days. I would like to backup the PST files of every user on a 10 day basis. I would like to know how to backup ( I usually copy the pst data file from the user pc to backup location).

There are certain users PST files which grows over 20 GB and i want to backup this files. The things I need is

1). I want to reduce the size of pst files over 20/25GB and back it up. How could i do this?
2). After backing up the 20gb file i don't want the same PST file to grow beyond 20GB. How could I create a new PST file
3). If the user wants to view the older 20GB file how will I add it?
4). Or the user needs to see at least past 3 months mail what could be done?

Thanks

jasonkaler

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
The best thing to do is set up archive folders and auto-archive.
Setting up auto archive will include those folders in the left pane in outlook. the user can easily find their old emails there.
It basically creates a send PST file that it moves mails to. This can be customized per folder if the user has stuff they want to retain permanently.
PST files will remain large unless you compact them. In the account settings, double click on the pst file, there's a button "compact now".

Backing up PST's like you are doing is usually fine. It just doesn't work if outlook is open at the time.

hardtech

Estimable
Apr 13, 2014
Hi,

1).Will compact now take huge time? If so Is it possible to copy just the pst file from user PC and compact it from my PC by adding the PST file in the data file option without creating an account?

2). Could you please tell whats exactly auto archive? it means if user has a data file when ever a mail comes its send to another pst file? And then i have to take backup of the pst of archive pst only?

You can use SYNCBACK SE Freeware. http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html

Just setup a profile for a folder you want backed-up to a different drive.

I have mine set to run once per day. It overwrites any files changed.

*Can be problematic if you choose something like the "Documents" folder with hidden folders. Keep it specific.

(You can avoid the ARCHIVAL feature in Outlook entirely unless it's a problem somehow)

jasonkaler

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.