Beginner Camera Help

ashreves1990

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
Hi there! My wife and I are brand new to the photography world. We are having a tough decision on deciding which camera to buy. We are mainly looking at doing wedding, family, and possibly sports photography. I've heard people say the canon T3i would be a good bang for our buck, however i had a friend tell me he hated his T3i because of the "white balance" and that he recommended nothing less then the Canon 60D. My wife seems to really like the T4i because of the touch screen. So were are really stuck between these three...Please Help!!!!

Solution
Hi, welcome to the photography world!!!

I would like to give you a couple of general tips about buying your beginner camera.

The models you mentioned are great for beginners, because they are not very expensive, and they give you lots of room to learn. From the ones you mentioned I would chose the T3i or the 60D (probably this one), or if you are willing to consider a Nikon alternative, the D5200 or the D7100.

The other tip which is very important is...... if you are learning don't spend a lot of money on a beginners camera, instead save and invest on 'glass'. Most people think that the quality of the pictures is directly related to the camera, and it's true, it is, but.... and this is a big but...... the quality of the picture is...

noidea_77

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
The white balance is part of the configuration / program you select and has nothing to do with the camera itself. The 60D, especially combined with a quality wide angle lens (for family and wedding) is a heavy one in your hand. The T4i / T5i is the better choice for beginners, but still expensive, because of the lenses you need. Take a closer look on the Canon Powershot models. It's all-in-one, easy to operate, perfect picture quality. I use that for wedding pictures and my 60D only for "creative" photography.

nicouy

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Hi, welcome to the photography world!!!

I would like to give you a couple of general tips about buying your beginner camera.

The models you mentioned are great for beginners, because they are not very expensive, and they give you lots of room to learn. From the ones you mentioned I would chose the T3i or the 60D (probably this one), or if you are willing to consider a Nikon alternative, the D5200 or the D7100.

The other tip which is very important is...... if you are learning don't spend a lot of money on a beginners camera, instead save and invest on 'glass'. Most people think that the quality of the pictures is directly related to the camera, and it's true, it is, but.... and this is a big but...... the quality of the picture is mostly related to the quality of the lens...... in plain english, the shittiest DSLR with a great lens will produce better pictures, than a great DSLR with a shitty lens.

Another side effect of this, you start with a medium range camera, but you have great lenses, when you change your camera to a higher level one, you will be able to use those lenses.

Solution