Benchmark drop 50pt each year, is my computer aging? What's your experience?

Michael Saiz

Prominent
May 14, 2017
Hey there, wasn't sure where to place this question but here we go:
Why is my notebook loosing around 50pt in benchmark test every year??

The Story: I try to keep my gaming notebook in good shape, meaning I'm cleaning my notebook once a year.

1) I dismantle it nearly complete replace heat paste and clean it from dust to improve cooling.
2) I wipe the system complete, reinstall everything OS, driver newest version ...
3) Then i install my 3D Mark and run a test Today again Firestrike.

Now comparing the results from this year the lasts year and the year before my score dropped 105 points. Thats a performance loss of 4.5%, yes i did 3 Tests each time to get more stable results because i realized they are different each time but i am talking about the average. I mean WTF is my computer aging? =D

No big Hardware change or repairs at all, OK i changed the 1TB HDD to a 500Gb SSD but that should at least increase performance not drop it. Only things that changed are the driver versions even OS is the same (Win7).

Soooo... what do you think? Anyone experienced the same or am i overreacting, thanks in advance for your option on this.

Solution
Newer versions of 3D Mark likely includes updated graphic tests that is more demanding than previous versions.

You would need to run the exact same version of 3D Mark 2 years ago to see if there has been any actual decrease in performance.
Newer versions of 3D Mark likely includes updated graphic tests that is more demanding than previous versions.

You would need to run the exact same version of 3D Mark 2 years ago to see if there has been any actual decrease in performance.

Solution