Best OS for browsing anonymity (Thinking about buying a laptop)

xvetter

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
I am planning on purchasing a laptop Before I do I would like to know if I will have more protection and anonymity if I go with an apple computer vs a linux based OS. Windows 10 doesn't seem like a good option do to monitoring of browsing. I will be using a VPN and a Proxy but would like that maximum amount of security that I could have.

Thanks!

Solution
Opera (the developer edition even has VPN built-in for those that are not sure how to approach implementing one). Linux gives you maximum control, but software compatibility/availability is a common drawback to some (though certainly workable for more technical users).

Geekwad

Estimable
Sep 25, 2015
Opera (the developer edition even has VPN built-in for those that are not sure how to approach implementing one). Linux gives you maximum control, but software compatibility/availability is a common drawback to some (though certainly workable for more technical users).

Solution

esco_sid

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Linux generally will provide the most security id probably go for fedora with cinnamon desktop spin as it has SElinux on it but again you have to know how to use it selinux can some times be a pain when you try to run certain services.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Apple is almost certainly worse than Windows 10.

Overall, though...this depends a LOT on:
1. What you are trying to avoid
2. What do you use this for
3. What software do you currently use, and are you willing to buy/obtain all that all over again. Or do without in some cases.

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
For anonymity Tails is the current front runner. A lot of Journalists use it. Its not really an os for everyday use however, just for the anonymity aspect. It just runs as a live cd/usb

For more everyday stuff, its the browser you should be more concerned with rather than the OS it runs on.

^this

I'd pick win 10 over anything from Apple. Microsoft goes to great lengths to anonymise all the data that it collects. As they are constantly fighting the US government over requests for data (as are Apple).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tails_%28operating_system%29

xvetter

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

I am trying to avoid general surveillance basically just to have piece of mind. Some of the things the computer is used for may be gray area but nothing blatantly illegal. I am currently just using windows 10 from my everyday use computer