Best setup for sound latency

thuannt05

Estimable
Oct 14, 2014
I mostly play Rhythm games (Stepmania Pump It Up). So I bought 7.2 Sony HT-M77 for better experience when playing.
Since everything is synced to the sound. I want sound-latency to be as low as possible. Sound quality does not matter.
The played-music-files that the program use are in .mp3 format

And these are the 2 setups I've been using with the Home Theater System:
Setup1: HDMI cable from TV's HDMI port to DVI port on graphic card, another HDMI cable from HDMI port on HT-M77's amp to graphic card's HDMI port.

Setup2: HDMI cable from TV's HDMI port to graphic card's HDMI port, analog cable (green to white/red) from 3.5mm green jack on mobo to HT-M77's audio port.

Setup3: may consider to buy a good sound card instead of the one on mobo.

For now, it seems that setup 2 has less sound latency (not sure). But is it possible to reduce the latency even more? In any other ways ?

(FYI, I've done all the possible SOFTWARE recommended tweaks to sounds like DPC tweaks, turn off enhancements, switch to 44.1khz, ect... so this topic itself is HARDWARE related, actually)

My computer spec:
TV: Samsung J6200 60" - used for display only, not sound.
Sound system: Sony HT-M77 2450W 7.2
MOBO: Gigabyte B85M-D3H
CPU: Intel i5-4460
Graphic card: Asus Strix GTX 950
RAM: 8GB 9-9-9-24
SSD: Kingston 240GB

Thanks in advance!

Solution
To confirm my own question, using analog is somehow better than HDMI latency-wise
I bought Creative Sound Blaster Z and it sounds a little clearer (though the lantency is about the same as onboard sound) - still I'm keeping the sound card.
But I guess it wouldn't be a matter if you use HDMI with a good amp which has a good DAC

thuannt05

Estimable
Oct 14, 2014
It seems that I've found the answer myself :D I'll leave the answer and the link here in case you find it's interesting to read

"Got Lag? Got Latency? READ THIS FIRST."
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/282374-Got-Lag-Got-Latency-READ-THIS-FIRST-Forums

Chugalug_

Estimable
So what did your problem end up being?
You said that you did all software side tweaks, so not sure what it could have been.....
I recommended a 144hz monitor as you made no mention of it in your original post, instead stating that you used a TV. :)

thuannt05

Estimable
Oct 14, 2014
My solution is to use RCA cables (analog) for sound and HDMI for display. And to buy a good sound card (since the audio source from the onboard sound does not sound as good - it's Realtek 892 chip). I'll comment here again once I (actually - we) finish testing it.
And yeah :D for hardware-wise, 144hz monitor surely beats the best TV at the moment, in term of display-lag

thuannt05

Estimable
Oct 14, 2014
To confirm my own question, using analog is somehow better than HDMI latency-wise
I bought Creative Sound Blaster Z and it sounds a little clearer (though the lantency is about the same as onboard sound) - still I'm keeping the sound card.
But I guess it wouldn't be a matter if you use HDMI with a good amp which has a good DAC

Solution