Best way to connect 4k tv with hdr to soundbar plus other components

kPomly

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
Products:

1. LG - 60" 4K Ultra HD TV with High Dynamic Range Model: 60UH7700SKU
2. Vizio S5430W-C2 54in 3.0 soundbar (2014 model)
3. DirecTV Genie DVR box
4. Playstation 4

So to get the full use of the hdr on the TV and the audio from the sound bar, can I just plug the Genie box directly into the TV (using the only hdmi 2.0a cable I have) and the soundbar into the TV using the hdmi arc port (with older hdmi cable, may even be lower than 1.4)? And then possibly plugging the Playstation 4 into the soundbar directly (to get better audio for gaming and Blu-ray watching, also with an older hdmi cable)? Does this make any sense? This is my first 4k tv and first soundbar so not sure this is a viable setup or if there is a better way.

Solution
If your soundbar supported lossless audio codecs then connecting the PS4 directly would be better but it doesn't so I would connect both the PS4 and DTV box directly to the TV with HDMI. You can connect the soundbar to the TV with HDMI ARC but I don't think you would get any advantage over using the optical out unless the TV won't output in anything but stereo. Even then won't be a big difference.
You will need the latest HR54 genie box to get 4k.
If your soundbar supported lossless audio codecs then connecting the PS4 directly would be better but it doesn't so I would connect both the PS4 and DTV box directly to the TV with HDMI. You can connect the soundbar to the TV with HDMI ARC but I don't think you would get any advantage over using the optical out unless the TV won't output in anything but stereo. Even then won't be a big difference.
You will need the latest HR54 genie box to get 4k.

Solution