beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus vs Audio-Technica ATH-M50x vs V-MODA Crossfade LP2 Vocal?

Silibant

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
I'm looking at the aforementioned headphones for on-the-go and at-home listening, mainly to video games and trap/EDM/glitch hop. Which one suits my needs best? Price can be considered a factor, but only if audio and build quality are otherwise tied. Thanks.

Solution
Pass on the LP2. It's not a great headphone, not terrible but the m50x is much better performer all around. So this come down to between the Custom and the m50x.

1. Build quality. The m50x is built like a tank. I've honestly never seen anyone break one through normal use. The original m50 yes because the cable wasn't detachable, so connections get loose sometimes. That's nothing out of the ordinary though. I've only seen the Custom once in person and from what I remember the build quality was also very good just like other beyerdyanmic products.

2. Audio quality. This is pretty subjective. The M50x is a has very good bass. It is full and well controlled. I felt that it was pretty smooth throughout the frequency range. The beyer...

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Pass on the LP2. It's not a great headphone, not terrible but the m50x is much better performer all around. So this come down to between the Custom and the m50x.

1. Build quality. The m50x is built like a tank. I've honestly never seen anyone break one through normal use. The original m50 yes because the cable wasn't detachable, so connections get loose sometimes. That's nothing out of the ordinary though. I've only seen the Custom once in person and from what I remember the build quality was also very good just like other beyerdyanmic products.

2. Audio quality. This is pretty subjective. The M50x is a has very good bass. It is full and well controlled. I felt that it was pretty smooth throughout the frequency range. The beyer depends on which setting you have that bass switch on. It can be overpowering to some if you have it in a higher position. I think my preference was on 2 when I listened to it. Beyer also has a rep for pretty harsh highs. Some people can't stand it because they think it sounds like nails on a chalkboard. Some love it because it gives headphones a sense of air and space. I don't remember much else about it, but I do remember that it was a good headphone.

3. Price. Customs run $200+, the m50x is around $140-$150.

Another headphone that I like that is comparable to these two and maybe slightly better is the shure 840. It has less bass, but I feel that the rest of the frequency response is better. It runs $200 msrp.

Personally I'd go with the m50x and use the extra $50 to pick up a headphone amp or something to go with the m50x. I feel that it will go well with the type of music you listen too and it sounds great with video games.

Solution

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
I can't really help you there. I usually go for black even though its kinda boring. White on most things tends to look kinda cheap. The blue one costs more, so unless you love the color scheme it's not worth paying extra for.

Silibant

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013

I'm gonna go for the black, then. White also stains easily from oils and whatnot, so maybe not a great plan for headphones. I wish I could go for the blue ones, but for $40 more, it's really not worth it. Thanks for all the help.

if you like the m50x, dont buy it... get the dt770pro instead. they are all around superior and typically in the same price bracket (in usa at least and cheaper than the m50x in uk). similar closed noise isolating design but better sound quality and a bit more soundstage.

if you wanted "soundstage" for gaming i'd look into the dt990pro-250 though for that you will want an amplifier. they are open cans with decent bass despite being open. somewhat bright treble, but you can tone that down with a good amp or EQ.

--

i personally own an m50 (previous gen to m50x) and i love them, but they arent worth the crazy price for the m50x (though $100-120 for the m50 original isnt a bad price for them). all in all i'm satisfied but the dt's are better cans all around.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009

Usually dt770pro's are roughly $50 more expensive in the US than the m50x. M50x are usually around $140-$150 and 770's around $200. I do like the 770 quite a bit though and agree that they are overall the better sounding headphone. It's the only pair of beyers I've ever heard that I could consider a dark sounding headphone. I'm not fan of the 990's precisely because of their treble. I find it harsh to my ears at times. Also open cans for on the go listening is asking for trouble.

looks like prices changed a bit recently. beyer cans seem to have went up a bit in price... the m50x was typically $160-180 and the dt770 was $180-190. looks like current amazon prices are $150 / $195. thanks for the update on prices.

ebay has a dt770pro-80 for $170 (and i'm sure you can get this price elsewhere as well). i'm sure you can beat the $150-180 on amazon for the m50x as well.

just thought i'd throw it in as an option for them to think about since it was not mentioned. despite the price increase its still a valid option

--

the op was not very specific what they meant by on-the-go.

as for open cans and travel: if leaking sound in and out is a concern than yes. if its not much of a concern then no.

open cans are not good if you want to shut out say... noise in an airplane, train or walking in public. if you will be using them in a hotel room, quiet office or similar you would be fine.

--

just as a side note, the op said they would be gaming. the dt770 has a wider soundstage than the m50x. i own a pair of m50s (which are very similar to the m50x in sound and quality) and you do notice the small soundstage (its even small for closed headphones). now, personally i like that sound for music and it doesnt bother me for gaming (the little that i do with headphones) but its worth mentioning that at least for gaming the dt770 is going to be just a bit better (although in general open cans > closed cans for gaming due to soundstage).

Silibant

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013

The cheapest DT770 pros are $196.. that's $50 more that I'd rather not spend for that aesthetic and a bit more soundstage. I appreciate that you took that into consideration though, and thank you for it. However, I would like to avoid diminishing returns with my money, and it seems like that would be the case with the DTs. Thank you again for offering your input, though, I greatly appreciate it.