puntojay

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Hello,

i have a big problem with my monitor it was working great on windows xp in till i installed windows 7 ultimate,
when i turn my pc on i get the windows screen then i get my desktop for about 1 second and then it goes no signal. works in safe mode but can not detect monitor,

things i have tryed
1, safe mode works
2, tryed 800x600
3, updating driver
4, surfing for a driver 4 tv not one out there.
5, pulling my hair out works lol

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
maybe try using 'driver sweeper' to remove the old installation of video card drivers.
this can help with problems like that.

and if it doesnt, i would suggest keep trying different video card drivers from a number of different versions.
dont necessarily stick to the same major update number.
for example.. nvida uses 240 , 250 , 260 major version number.. then there is a dot and another number to show the minor update number.
you could try different minor numbers and different major update numbers.

if this doesnt work.. it makes me think maybe there is a profile being called upon for your monitor that is incompatible.
maybe the resolution is too high or the refresh rate is too high or too low.. and you have to delete the monitor profile before getting it to work.

you said you tried a different resolution.. but you didnt try a different refresh rate.
i would try this too.

and if that doesnt do it, maybe your graphics card is somehow failing.
i know it doesnt make any sense that it worked a couple hours ago and not anymore.. so i wouldnt put this on the first of things to try, but maybe the absolute last thing to try.

if you have an old hard drive, you could always install windows xp on it and see if the video card works with the television again.. that would prevent you from changing the video card with windows 7 .. but it would inevitably bring you to the decision 'maybe my video card hates windows 7 ... or maybe windows 7 hates my video card'

probably a driver problem though.. as ugly as it sounds, since you shouldnt be getting a signal for 1 second and then getting no signal at all.
but
maybe that is how your television works when the refresh rate isnt supported?
some will jump to 'no signal' when the desktop is supposed to show.
i dont see why the television wouldnt show the desktop for a second and then say 'no signal'
but
'no signal' is not the same as 'refresh rate too high'
my CRT monitor tells me 'no signal' and 'refresh rate too high'
but that doesnt mean your monitor will say both.

i think try the refresh rate first, then ask around if windows 7 has custom profiles for the monitor.
then i would move on to different drivers.
i know i had used a program with windows xp that created a profile, and it prevented the graphics card software from seeing all of the refresh rates available for my monitor.
got rid of the profile and the refresh rates were listed again.

puntojay

Distinguished
May 10, 2011

thank you for replying to me. i installed windows xp again last night and it worked with my monitor so put windows 7 back on and did not work

i changed resolution to 800 x 600 and mhz from 60 to minimum on my pc of 55mhz. but there is one thing when my screen goes on for a second it goes of but does not say no signal just goes blue.

i unplug the vga cable from the pc it says no signal so there is some think there or it will say no signal.
but i get what you are saying about it probs being resolution or refresh rate too high
but what i can not get into my head is why would it come on in the first place if it would not work. JAY

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
coming on probably has everything to do with an input being more than the television can handle, and the tv sees the signal.. but is shaving it to size to fit first, then turning the signal off to prevent damage.

i didnt really say the refresh rate is too high.. but maybe it is too low.

if windows 7 is anything like windows xp for the resolution, booting into safe mode will not load the monitor profile.
so if the monitor profile gets set back to default in safemode and works.. maybe it is the operating system with the profile, or maybe it is the video card drivers with the profile.
should be absolutely one or the other since the video card still works with windows xp.
not much else controls the resolution, and if/when there is something else.. it usually isnt loaded with the start of the operating system.

if your operating system is being installed from a retail disc, then there are no worries.
otherwise, maybe you need to run some malware scanner to remove an annoying program.
or
maybe you need to go into the services and turn one of them from 'auto' to 'manual' or 'off'

i really dont think anything else gets priority over the video card drivers.. but it isnt impossible that something is loading and changing something.
have a look at the list of services and see what you can come up with.

monitor profile
service
video card driver

those are my guesses.

puntojay

Distinguished
May 10, 2011

puntojay

Distinguished
May 10, 2011

my hertz start at 60 to 240 hertz but it says its pnp not plug and play but when i use the drop menu it does not have plug and play there is just generic pnp monitor.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
sorry.. i dont know if 'pnp' is normal for windows 7
maybe it should be 'plug and play' and it shows the problem.
but
you could always try to build a custom profile and load it.

i know, you wont be able to do that on your computer.
maybe if you have a spare computer or laptop.
or
maybe you can make a custom profile on some other computer and save it to a usb flash drive to bring it home and load it.

i am at about the end of my road with this answer.
i dont know anything about how windows 7 does monitor profiles.
and i really dont know if windows 7 will allow you to create a custom profile.

if i were you, i suggest you ask the question in the operating system part of tom's hardware.
the people there will be much more knowledgeable since there are dozens (or hundreds.. or even thousands) of people who use windows 7
somebody should be able to tell you about the monitor profile, since the operating system has been out for a long while now.

just ask if you can create a custom monitor profile.. or if you can delete the old one.. or if windows 7 has monitor profiles at all.

they might tell you to 'uninstall' the monitor driver and let it reinstall.
but that might be exactly where the problem is.

seems like a really strange problem.. until you think about all of the OEM install discs.
this shouldnt happen on retail discs.. but if your television wants 240hz and is only getting 60hz
i could see a conflict there.
maybe the graphics card is making a 'stronger' connection with your television and the graphics card simply wont do 240hz
see.. this is the breaking point of 'casual' ... since the television might have made a 'deal' with windows xp graphic drivers.
if the deal was to use 120hz .. then the graphics card would do that, since that refresh rate is often listed as supported.
but
i dont think 240hz is supported often.. even though it should be, because two monitors connected at 120hz would equal 240hz ever?
i think if the electricity can be doubled to support each monitor for 120hz ... then the voltage should be enough for one monitor at 240hz
but
maybe the two voltage supplies are seperated and would need to be bridged or otherwise connected.

like i said.. people with the operating system would know faster than we would here.
this is the 'home theater' section of the forum.
and i dont believe it is a problem with your television at all.
so you need to have a go in the operating system section.

monitor profile
graphics card supported refresh rate
these should be your two main focuses.

then add to that anything else i mentioned, in whatever order you want.
if they cant help you at all, then try another forum.. or email microsoft (or see if the microsoft forum is still up)