BitDefender: Trojan Posing as Chrome Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
''Eventually it's going to get to the point where consumers can't trust any type of email, forcing everyone to text their messages via IM clients or smartphones.''

Common sense is enough if you are a skilled power user, seriously a .exe lol. But we are past this point since like 2005 for a end user.

imspecial

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
[citation][nom]reddragon72[/nom]Once again the title of this post is totally off. It reads as though an actual chrome extension is a trojan.[/citation]
I think you misread it, seems fine to me.

Anyways, I could see this seriously going wrong for "average" internet users, not just chrome users.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]reddragon72[/nom]Once again the title of this post is totally off. It reads as though an actual chrome extension is a trojan.[/citation]
What? How could it be any clearer: A trojan (malware) is posing (pretending to be) a Chrome Extension. Actually a very clear and concise title. The only way this could be confusing is if you thought it meant that an ancient Greek warrior got a modeling job mimicking be a shiny metal bathroom fixture.

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
/sigh

The people that get tricked by this should seriously buy a mac or linux.

It's not that hard to avoid viruses. Haven't run a virus program in over 8 years and have only gotten hit once, from someone else's stupidity on my box.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
why only google and yahoo... why not add bing to the formula??
i know that yahoo is associated to bing somehow, so am sure microsoft is not behind it.

shovenose

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
hahaha take that chrome...
i loved you chrome...until you stoppped opening on one my win xp copmuters. chrome is no more. :( ***cry***

dillyflump

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
This sort of malware problem only gets worse and has done over the last four or five years. The issue lies with the fact there are a large ammount of the general populous who have no common sense what so ever, and will blindly click on files contained within emails, download attachments, oblige in handing over vital personal banking details to fraudulent phishing websites ect.
Botnets are getting worse aswell because these users are not properly protected against such attacks or do not even know thier systems are compromised.
The answer to the whole problem is education, it's far to easy to start using a computer these days without actually knowing about any of these risks.
A good solution would be an advice leaflet which came with every new personal computer or laptop advising consumers on good internet practice and how to avoid becoming a victim of fraudsters.

Status
Not open for further replies.