Black Bars Around Laptop Screen- No Scaling Option

McGirk242

Honorable
May 18, 2013
Hey there, I recently received a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Laptop. It has an AMD A6 Quad Core with a touch screen. I'm a bit tech savvy, so when I saw that this laptop had black bars I went into AMD Catalyst to scale it out. However, the option was not available. Then I decided, it being a new laptop and all, that I would need to update it. I did it, and I still could not find the scaling option.

The max resolution is 1366x768, and it is set there since the moment I got it. Is it just meant to be this way, or am I missing something?

The black bars travel all across the screen, making it look like it has a second bezel around it, but it is part of the screen.

Answers would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Take a picture.

If not, try wiping the video drivers it has now, then reinstall using drivers for video directly from Dell.

Use DDU to remove drivers.

McGirk242

Honorable
May 18, 2013

Thanks for replying, I'll do that. By take a picture, what do you mean? As in take a picture to show you what it looks like, or something else?

Also by DDU, do you mean that nifty Dell Driver Update feature?

Thanks again!

McGirk242

Honorable
May 18, 2013

Thanks for your help, I probably won't post a pic but I'll take your suggestion and undo my drivers. If the problem continues, I'll probably either deal with it or ask again.

Thanks again.

Shield1561

Estimable
Mar 14, 2015

Did you ever have any luck figuring this out? My new Dell has the same thing :-/

McGirk242

Honorable
May 18, 2013
[/quotemsg]

Did you ever have any luck figuring this out? My new Dell has the same thing :-/
[/quotemsg]

I made a kind of dumb move and realized that those black bars are actually part of the bezel! They're not actually lost screen real estate, its just really strange design choice.