Blu-ray to Get Legal Copying

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
To answer the question: no, BR equipment is way too much expensive for me and the availability of BR movies isn't that of standard DVD here, and I guess such SPECIAL equipment will cost WAYYYY too much.

Not worth it for me... yet :)

This reminds me of the DVDs that were good for 24 houres, used in rentals. Did this technology made it somewhere?

G

Yay buy a new player for a feature that should have been there in the first place. No thanks they dont get my money.

Blue ray is already worthless. Ive got a 70" 1080p with all the supporting equipment. Including a blueray player. Yes you can see the difference between hd and regular dvds. But its not worth the price. You can buy 3 4 5 dvd movies for the same price as a blue ray. So why bother buying blue ray, go buy 3 movies instead that look 95% as good for the same price and tripple your enjoyment.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
According to Ars, the following niggly little details apply:
-Current BR hardware probably can't get a firmware upgrade to support this, and all the BR movies you've already bought don't support it at all.
-In order to start the copy, the hardware has to ask an authorization server from a URL that's mastered into the BR disk at the time of manufacture. Better hope the servers in question stays up forever or the URLs never change.
-Studios are free to charge you for the privilege of your one guaranteed authorized copy. They can let you make more than one copy, but they're also free to charge you for all of them too.
-The copy itself has to be DRM'd, and can only be in a WindowsMedia file, CSS'd DVD, or AACS'd Blu-Ray disk.

Yeah. Thanks but no thanks.
Why can't these people just die off already and get out of our way? This kind of stuff only makes life more difficult for the law-abiding, paying customer.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I would first have to own a blu-ray player to buy another blu-ray player. I bought an HD-DVD player for $99 and it came with 7 free movies. 18+ months later I'm waiting for a similarly priced blu-ray player to get my money.

But the best format for the consumers won I'm sure.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
considering it's about $25 just for the blank blu-ray disk.....you are better off just replacing the movie for about the first 50 times you break on, rather than buying a new player/recorder and blank disks.

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
where's the catch? People can already archive blu-rays themselves for the most part (not as easy as a dvd, but possible)

and no, that 24 hour dvd thing died a horrible death :)

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
What I'd like to be able to do is buy rights to playback the content and have access to it on Blu-ray, my iPod, Zune, or any other media. Basically it doesn't make sense to buy multiple copies of the same movie just to be able to playback on many different devices.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
thanks for the info Hatecrime69

Man there are too many "THIS IS GOING TO CHANGE THE WAY WE LIVE" things that die without a notice. I bet this copyable technology will be one of them, considering scook9's comment.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Hatecrime69[/nom]where's the catch? People can already archive blu-rays themselves for the most part [/citation]

They're talking legally.

Way to get my hopes up, and then screw it all up.

Why not just call this article "Another reason to not buy a PS3" if this can't be fixed via a firmware update.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]ravewulf[/nom]What I'd like to be able to do is buy rights to playback the content and have access to it on Blu-ray, my iPod, Zune, or any other media. Basically it doesn't make sense to buy multiple copies of the same movie just to be able to playback on many different devices.[/citation]

Buy the rights? Please do not suggest that. I'm against stealing copyrighted material you don't already own but as far as I am concerned if I go out to Best Buy and purchase a brand new copy of The Dark Knight on blu-ray I have the legal right to play it back on any medium I so choose. If Warner Bros doesn't provide me with a download link in iTunes or some other service I will download it from a torrent site and accomplish the same goal. I will watch that one copy on my cell phone, on my laptop, on my desktop, in my iPod, and on my television. I will not purchase a digital copy, an iPod copy, and a hard copy. It will be a cold day in hell before I buy a movie than buy the "rights" to watch my movie on some other device. I already bought the right to do so when I swiped my Credit Card and I don't give a damn if the RIAA says otherwise.

Don't get any of statements confused with you thieves downloading games/movies/software that you don't already own. Completely different.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
let me update having actually looked at some prices now, the cost of disks is around 5$-12$ (US) each - not as bad. Guess they are only that high at micro center where I used to work. Still MUCH more than I would want to pay for BLANK disks. I mean, its metal film and plastic ffs.

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
Blue Ray & HD are non events IMHO. I have no problems copying whatever I want right now and I see no reason to spend the exorbitint amounts required for BR.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Um no, its outdated technology and not any different then HD-DVD was, minus the fact that the DRM was way stricter. Now the Blu-ray has been cracked you can find em everywhere online, the BD-Forum is going to have just as a hard time as HD-DVD did or the DVD forums does with copy protection. PLus we all know the movie and tv industry will outcast everyone that jumps onto Blu-Ray. its only a matter of a couple years before they release some new "standard" (DVI anyone?)

G

The only thing I would *possibly* be interested in doing with a BD burner is backing up PC data files (pictures, HD camcorder home movies, etc.) as they hold nearly 25GB in one disc, and more down the road in double density form. Sure, you can pay to store your data off site, but I prefer to have my own hard copies stored in a fire/water proof safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.