Blue Yeti sounds horrible even from half a foot away?

Karoner

Estimable
Feb 1, 2016
Now I didn't have this problem for that long. But it is really annoying me. As you can see in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkl7p5w7xuo
The guy has the yeti a foot away from his mouth, and it sounds pretty good. But when I try a set up like this, The yeti sounds really bad. And really unclear. So I would like why when he does that set up it sounds good but when I try it sounds horrible. It sounds kind of like in a tube wihtout that much echo. I don't have that much echo btw
Thanks

Solution
The only thing I can think of is maybe the gain is too high (or maybe too low). When I have it about half, it is too much but then again i'm always around 6" from the mic (I use a boom to keep it out of the way). I tend to talk close to the mic and have the gain low to avoid picking up too much background noise.

You could try different patterns if you are sitting that far away from the mic. I have noticed the quality of the cardioid setting is notably lower than some of the others if you are sitting some distance away.

Forgot to ask. Are you monitoring with headphones or simply playing it back in Audacity.

Karoner

Estimable
Feb 1, 2016

Because I am trying to be as far as the guy in the video is, I have the mic gain at a little bit below half way, in windows I have it at 100 (all the way) and yeah I have acoustic foams in front of me. But the echo is not the problem it's how the voice is not clear enough and it sounds bad. And if you are wondering I use audacity. What do you mean by sample recording do the issue?

Blackink

Estimable
Apr 27, 2014
Have you tried the different pattern settings available for that mic?
There's 4 of them: Multiple Pattern Selection - You can quickly select from each of Blue Yeti's four pattern settings (stereo, cardioid, omnidirectional, bidirectional) by simply rotating the pattern selector knob.

See pages 12-19 of the User's Manual for more details and information about the 4 selections......

Karoner

Estimable
Feb 1, 2016

Yeah I use Cardioid pattern most of the time

Blackink

Estimable
Apr 27, 2014
Same here. My mic is about 2 ' away from me and comes in clear as a bell. When I first used it, I was surprised at how nice and clear it sounded.

Hope you get the problem fixed......

SinxarKnights

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
The only thing I can think of is maybe the gain is too high (or maybe too low). When I have it about half, it is too much but then again i'm always around 6" from the mic (I use a boom to keep it out of the way). I tend to talk close to the mic and have the gain low to avoid picking up too much background noise.

You could try different patterns if you are sitting that far away from the mic. I have noticed the quality of the cardioid setting is notably lower than some of the others if you are sitting some distance away.

Forgot to ask. Are you monitoring with headphones or simply playing it back in Audacity.

Solution