Bought an Optical to 3 x 3.5mm Audio Converter and can't get it to work

May 3, 2018
Hello, so, i have a problem and need some help please.

My TV only has optical audio out and i bought a 5.1 sound system with 3 x 3.5mm... Already that's a smart choice -.-'

Then, i bought a optical audio converter with optical in and 3 x 3.5mm out so i could connect the tv to the sound system...

When i connected the tv to the converter (via optical cable) and then the sound system to the converter (3x3.5mm) it just doesn't work...

The only audio output options i have on the TV is "Auto" or "PCM" but none of those seem to work...

The sound system works on my computer when i connect the 3x3.5mm but i really wanted the sound coming from the tv so that my pc and ps4 all use the same 5.1 sound system...

Don't know if i'm making myself clear, but i really want some help.

My TV is a 3 year old LCD LG, when i get home i can specify the model, right now i can't.

The converter i bought is this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07116VKTR/ref=sspa_dk_detail_7?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07116VKTR&pd_rd_wg=HK5E0&pd_rd_r=BG1PH0FW94YVP54PJ18W&pd_rd_w=Ggayy

The sound system i bought is this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Surround-Theater-Speaker-System/dp/B003VAK1FA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1525339642&sr=1-1&keywords=Logitech%2BZ506%2B5.1&th=1

Thanks for the help.

Dragos Manea

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015
Solution
May 3, 2018

Huuuum... But with the one you mentioned, will it work as 5.1? I'm guessing no right?

Dragos Manea

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015
If the system has a stereo input, it should emulate 5.1, best way to test it, take a jack to RCA cable connect to green output to pc, then connect to stereo in system, set your speakers in PC for 2.0 and see if all the speakers works, it should work. If it works then you can buy the fiio adapter and use it for the TV.

May 3, 2018

Ok, i'll try it when i get home, hope it works, thanks :D

mortemas

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
Stupid question: Do you have to enable optical output in the tv menu? I have a 2017 LG tv and I have to enable optical output in the menu of the tv. I am using an optical to analog converter similar to yours to connect my 5.1 computer speakers to the tv.

Also, on the converter make sure the optical input that you have plugged into is actually selected with the INPUT button. The LEDs should indicate which one is selected.

May 3, 2018

That's the thing, i don't have that option... i mean, there's an option for "Digital Audio Output" but i can only choose "auto" or "pcm" and neither of those work... it might be because the tv is older and a cheaper model.. or maybe the converter just doesn't work like that, i still haven't tested it on another tv...

But if you have a similar one, well, maybe it's the TV...

mortemas

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
Yeah, I know the setting you are talking about, Auto vs PCM, but mine has another section where you can enable different audio output ports or "paths" IE: Internal TV speakers/Optical/Bluetooth. You're referring to the output FORMAT, but look for output port selection. What's the model of your TV?

May 3, 2018

Yeah i was looking for that yesterday but couldn't find it... I'm not home right now so i don't know the model of the tv... Later i can take photos and show the menu and the tv model