Buzzing sound from speakers (also on mute) Asus N705UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2018
Dear all,

Recently I bought an Asus N705UD with i5 8250U and Nvidia GTX 1050 2 GB.

Everything was fine until I muted the sound while some video on youtube was playing in background. Then I noticed a constant buzzing sound from the speakers while the video was playing. That sound is amplified if I scroll on a page.
Then I installed a game to check if the buzzing can be heard also in-game. The buzzing gets even worse, a lot louder and coil-whine was also noticeable.

What I tried and noticed so far:
- first of all, and most important probably, if I disable the speakers from Sounds -> Playback the noise stops, even the coil whine in game stops
- buzzing can't be heard in headphones
- installed multiple versions of Realtek audio drivers, did not change anything
- windows updated
- enhancements from Sounds appear to be disabled
- bios updated to latest version

So I think there is some kind of interference between sound card and graphics... However, I do not know how I could solve it.

Returning the laptop is unfortunately not an option, as I bought it during a trip in another country.

Thanks in advance for any advice/opinion!

Jul 23, 2018

Thanks for your reply!
I contacted the manufacturer and they said I should send it in service. I did not have time until now to do that. Yesterday I thought I should give it another try and update the sound card driver. Now the buzzing is noticeable only if I play a video and the volume is on. If it is on mute, nothing can be heard. Also if I connect headphones, the buzzing is gone completely (also cannot be heard in headphones). So clearly it is an improvement with the driver. However, it is still annoying. Any idea? I want to avoid sending it to service, as it will take more than 2 weeks and I need the laptop for work...

Jul 23, 2018

It happens with videos and in games. No specific player or online site.
Just tried with a song on soundcloud. If I lower the volume to minimum (not mute), I can hear the buzzing. If I mute, no buzzing at all. So there is no need to be a video after all.
However, if I scroll on facebook's newsfeed and videos start playing (on mute), the buzzing starts also.

I guess it would depend on the buzzing itself. How loud, etc. It may well be normal (some devices are like that). I couldn't say since I can't hear it. :) I would still talk with the manufacturer though. If it is really bugging you and it is under warranty, why not get them to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.