Can a RAT survive a clean install of windows?

G

I recently downloaded a program that contained a RAT, a few hours later i noticed random mouse movement, then my google chrome closing. I immediately pulled out my network and tried to find the RAT but failed. I checked everywhere but i couldn't find traces of it. I believe it was a crypted rootkit rat because i couldn't find anything fishy in task manager. Any way after that i decided it would be best to perform a clean install on my windows 10 PC by selecting the option 'remove everything' which is said to remove all of your personal files, apps and settings.
On the next screen i had two options:

'Just remove my files' which says 'This is quicker, but less secure. Use this if you're keeping the PC'

OR

'Remove files and clean the drive' which says 'This might take a few hours, but will make it harder for someone to recover your removed files. Use this if you're recycling the PC.'

I chose the second option, will this be enough for a RAT to be removed permanently from my PC? Also what are the best programs that i can use to prevent a RAT infection again.

Thanks.

Solution
Depends on complexity.
I would go into advanced disk options, and delete the partition and create a new one (which would thus format it) to be sure.
Very few rootkits actually get into the mbr/gpt.

Do you have any additional drives plugged into the computer because it could keep a copy in those drives.

Bitdefender or Kaspersky are the best paid antivirus programs. In regards to AVG, Avast, Microsoft......you get what you pay for.
Depends on complexity.
I would go into advanced disk options, and delete the partition and create a new one (which would thus format it) to be sure.
Very few rootkits actually get into the mbr/gpt.

Do you have any additional drives plugged into the computer because it could keep a copy in those drives.

Bitdefender or Kaspersky are the best paid antivirus programs. In regards to AVG, Avast, Microsoft......you get what you pay for.

Solution