Can I install an SSD on a Dell 0xpcg3?

Shuryou

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
Hello there,

My sister has this laptop and she's always complaining about how slow it is, and she complains for a reason, it's really slow. I was thinking on installing her an SSD but I have no idea if it's possible since it's a pretty old computer or if I would have to bring it to the shop or if it's not possible at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Yes but you need to create a factory install disk/USB. Its the only way to move your OS. The laptop only has room for one drive. I suggest getting this one as its a top sata SSD. You could get an external USB case for the old drive.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.68 @ OutletPC)
Total: $94.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-08 12:06 EDT-0400

elbert

Distinguished
Yes but you need to create a factory install disk/USB. Its the only way to move your OS. The laptop only has room for one drive. I suggest getting this one as its a top sata SSD. You could get an external USB case for the old drive.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.68 @ OutletPC)
Total: $94.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-08 12:06 EDT-0400

Solution

Shuryou

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
Thanks for the quick answer.

The only question remaining is, is it hard to install? I haven't had a chance to look at it and I don't know if it's just removing the old one and installing the new one or there is more to it. Also, can I just install Windows 10 on this thing or is it too old for it? I think she prefers a clean install.

elbert

Distinguished
should just require removing the panel on the bottom. Take the screwes out that hold the drive and slide it back a bit. Then put the SSD in and slide it forward onto the SATA connections and bolt it down. Then install your OS. Some come with a tray you have to detach from the old drive and attach to the new.

Shuryou

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
I removed the cover that is under the computer and the hdd wasn't there, after checking where it is in other models I found that you need to dismantle the whole thing. Terrible design.

elbert

Distinguished
I wish they would keep all that stuff under back panels. Unfortunatly I couldn't find a video on your exact model. Here is one tho that should help explaining the process to get to the HD. You can skip to half way as the first part is about RAM and back panel parts. Take your time on doing this as rushing causes mistakes.
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4cS8viw0Ho"][/video]