Can I run HDMI over one or more coax cables?

Atroek

Estimable
Jan 13, 2016
I am trying to connect my tv with my receiver in a finished part of my house. There are 4 coax cables and 1 cat5 cable that run between the tv location and my receiver location. I understand that in order to use cat5 cable to run a hdmi signal you should use 2 cables but I only have one so now I'm looking at a way to use the existing coax. Are there any converters that will work?

Solution
eh, coax as in cable tv coax? like RG58 or something? even if you had a converter, the bitrate / frequency would be far too high for RG58 to carry it without losing a lot of signal strength. HDMI can manage it because it's running the data across several wires, so the per-wire bit rate is lower. trying to jam it all on a single conductor RG58 would probably be far in excess of its capability.

giantbucket

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
eh, coax as in cable tv coax? like RG58 or something? even if you had a converter, the bitrate / frequency would be far too high for RG58 to carry it without losing a lot of signal strength. HDMI can manage it because it's running the data across several wires, so the per-wire bit rate is lower. trying to jam it all on a single conductor RG58 would probably be far in excess of its capability.

Solution