Can I use a USB A male to 3.5mm 4 pole Converter cable to connect echo dot to my stereo usb input designated for iPod?

spirit4a

Prominent
Dec 23, 2017
My home stereo has a USB input labeled input iPod. I want to connect an echo dot to this but that requires a 3.5 mm cable out of the Dot with a USB end to insert into the stereo. Will this cable work USB A male to 3.5mm 4 pole Converter cable?

Solution
It's actually a USB port, you can't do this... it literally just uses the ipod as a mass storage device and can read other mass storage devices like USB sticks.

If I were doing it I'd just get a 3.5mm to RCA stero adapter from the dollar store and plug everything into something like the CD input audio jacks in the back.

spirit4a

Prominent
Dec 23, 2017
It is designed to play the iPod like it was any other aux device, so you might be correct. Perhaps it only plays the digital signal from the ipod but I was thinking the Echo Dot is sending an internet digital signal..not really sure.

spirit4a

Prominent
Dec 23, 2017

it is designed to play the iPod like it was any other aux device, so you might be correct. Perhaps it only plays the digital signal from the ipod but I was thinking the Echo Dot is sending an internet digital signal..not really sure.

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
No the dot is putting out an analog signal through the .5mm.

The thing is, I don't want you frying something if that connection is true USB at 5v .5 amps

that's why I asked for the model of stereo.

spirit4a

Prominent
Dec 23, 2017

Thanks. Didn't see the stereo model request until now. It is a Pioneer VSX 522 k A/V system

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
It's actually a USB port, you can't do this... it literally just uses the ipod as a mass storage device and can read other mass storage devices like USB sticks.

If I were doing it I'd just get a 3.5mm to RCA stero adapter from the dollar store and plug everything into something like the CD input audio jacks in the back.

Solution

spirit4a

Prominent
Dec 23, 2017

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014

Cheers, Merry Christmas.