Can my phone stil function

bless913

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
I would like to know if my phone has a chance of working again, because I recently bought a second hand charger for my Samsung galaxy tab but as I was charging it, it exploded. I was able to use my phone with the percentage of battery that it had after it exploded. After the battery went dead I couldn't charge it anymore I took it to the nearest technician who replaced the charging port but he told me it still doesn't switch on even after they charged my battery. Please help!

Solution
What Homer said.

It would be worth letting us know what voltage rating the charger you used was, along with the voltage rating of the battery itself. There should be a series of numbers on the label, just take a photo if you aren't sure which are the correct digits.

Lithium-ion batteries are tricky little buggers. Too low of a voltage going in, catastrophe. Too much of a voltage going in, catastrophe. Particularly the higher voltages can be incredibly dangerous.

They're charged by what's called "trickle charging" which is exactly what it sounds like. Think of a coffee maker - it might drip one drop at a time, but it's steady and consistent. What would happen if you forced more pressure through the tiny little hole into the pot...

homerhellboy223

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Sounds like something overloaded. If the tech replaced the charger port and attempted to charge it and it still didn't turn on there are three things that could be wrong:

A) The charger port he installed is not installed correctly (least likely if he's a certified tech) or it's faulty.
B) Something on the system board was damaged or shorted in the process and it's probably not worth fixing or paying to have fixed.
C) You need a new battery.

Did the phone display when it was charging with a progress bar?
Possible Solution: You might need a new phone.

bless913

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
It was the charger that exploded not the phone, sorry if I didn't make it clear. I believe if I can get a new battery my tablet will work again. But the thing that's confusing is that after the charger exploded I removed my phone immediately and I was able to use it for a few hours until the battery went flat. So with that known could there still be something that was damaged on the system board and can it be fixed? Or I should try get a new battery?

Is there a way I can retrieve my files from the internal memory?

homerhellboy223

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009

With that information throw out item B) and consider A) and C). I would start by getting a hold of another battery and testing it. If it works then it's the charger port issue. You might want to contact that tech again.

Recovery shouldn't be a concern till you test to see if it turns on again with another battery.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
What Homer said.

It would be worth letting us know what voltage rating the charger you used was, along with the voltage rating of the battery itself. There should be a series of numbers on the label, just take a photo if you aren't sure which are the correct digits.

Lithium-ion batteries are tricky little buggers. Too low of a voltage going in, catastrophe. Too much of a voltage going in, catastrophe. Particularly the higher voltages can be incredibly dangerous.

They're charged by what's called "trickle charging" which is exactly what it sounds like. Think of a coffee maker - it might drip one drop at a time, but it's steady and consistent. What would happen if you forced more pressure through the tiny little hole into the pot? Well, you'd end up with an explosion, of sorts (coffee all up in your face :p).

With the coffee maker analogy in mind, try to picture that happening with a battery. They're only meant to handle so much at a time. Too much, and you can have a big problem. You could possibly even burn your house down.

As was suggested, try it with another battery and go from there. It definitely sounds like it's a fried battery. Make sure though, that the batteries are either identical, or have identical voltage ratings (the numbers on the label should match).

Solution