Cannot enable Dolby Digital in PC.

Ariel Soto

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016
Hi, everyone.
Hope you can help me out a little bit.

I have an RCA RT2360, it is 5.1
The system makes use of all the speakers. However, both Rear left and right speakers are being outputed through the front left and right speakers.

I've tried 2 ways.
1. Connecting my PC->TV through HDMI.
Home Theater->TV through RCA+Coaxial (my TV has a Coaxial entrance)
If I go to Sound Options in Windows, I don't have the option to set format compatibility to Dolby Digital, as it only displays my tv.

2. Connecting my Home Teather directly to the PC with RCA-Jack 3.5 (using the green jack entrance), it displays another source of sound in options, but only the option stereo displays, I cannot see Dolby Digital or DTS.

I've used it before with my Xbox 360 and the same TV, using the second option and it would use Dolby Digital.

Can anyone help me?
Thanks, in advance.

If you need photos, let me know. And also, let me know how to upload them, please.

Solution
When the PC is connected to the TV with HDMI it detects that the TV is stereo and may not pass surround sound to it. Check the TV audio menu. You may have to select Bitstream to get 5.1. Some TVs don't pass surround sound at all only stereo. You can get your audio directly from the PC is it has a digital audio output. If not then you can get an HDMI audio extractor to provide a digital audio output for the RCA.
Like I replied on some other post recently, WHO IS DOING THE SURROUND DECODING?

If PC is doing it, then you must attach, typically, the three 3.5mm jacks on the back of the PC (Fronts/Surround/Center+Sub) to your amplifier/speakers.

If an external system is doing the surround decoding then HDMI or Toslink to this decoder box, whatever it is, and this is where you set the desired surround mode(s).

When the PC is connected to the TV with HDMI it detects that the TV is stereo and may not pass surround sound to it. Check the TV audio menu. You may have to select Bitstream to get 5.1. Some TVs don't pass surround sound at all only stereo. You can get your audio directly from the PC is it has a digital audio output. If not then you can get an HDMI audio extractor to provide a digital audio output for the RCA.

Solution