cant get into my laptop.........

HSE Advisor

Commendable
May 10, 2016
all I get when I power on my Toshiba satellite C55-B5300 is 'preparing automatic repair, then a blank screen, then a flash which then goes to

RecEnv.exe - Application error

The instruction at 0x00007FFCC9F52236 referenced memory at 0x00007ffC4A08590. The required data was not placed in mempry because of an I/O error status of 0xcoooo185

click on OK to terminate the program

And when I click on OK the whole process starts all over again

Solution

You do the backup by booting off the Linux Live disk. It will see any USB drive and you can copy the files from the internal drive to that. Ubuntu will work fine...

Make a Linux boot disk, boot the laptop off that. If that works, fist thing to do If you don't have backups of your data, before doing anything else, copy your files and settings like Favorites, My Documents, Desktop, to another computer or external drive. After that, test the system with different RAM. If that does not help, try a factory restore. If that does not work or crashes after that, it could be a bad hard drive. Boot into the BIOS, check for a drive check utility and run it. If there is no utility to check hardware, best bet would be to replace the hard drive and install Windows clean on that.

HSE Advisor

Commendable
May 10, 2016
I understand all that but how can I make backups and such if I cannot get into my laptop in the first place? If I could have I would allready have done a factory restore, All I get when I power on my laptop is what I first described, its all I see on my screen, cant get into documents, desktop NOTHING!! at the moment I am trying to make a linus boot disk on my desk top into a USB drive, downloading it from the net but I see UBUNTU, knoppix etc, I am thus wondering if by downloading it on my desk top I can use the USB on my laptop. Is that feasible?, will that work?

You do the backup by booting off the Linux Live disk. It will see any USB drive and you can copy the files from the internal drive to that. Ubuntu will work fine. If it does not even boot off that due to hardware issues, then you can remove the drive from the laptop and copy the files using an external USB dock for it or just hook it up to your desktop as a secondary drive.

Solution