Can't install Windows Server 2016

brancamonti

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016
Well. What the title says. Everytime I try to install Windows Server 2016 on a 165GB partition it won't let me, saying that the partition does not count with enough free space (even though it is 100% free space).
I have 2 physical 465GB HDDs in my computer partitioned like this:

DISK 1
-System reserved 100MB
-Windows 7 (C:) 300GB
-Backup? (D:) 165GB

DISK 2
-Stuff (E:) 300GB
-FREE SPACE (F:) 165GB

Previously, I had Windows 10 installed in volume F:, but uninstalled it to try and install Win2k16 and it appears that I can't. I also can't figure how to successfully create a virtual disk in the F: volume and install windows server there...

I need help, noob to server OS's

Thanks in advance

brancamonti

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016
Is it formatted NTFS?
Yes, it is.

Try installing the server inside a VM
I already did, but I need it to run on the actual computer so I can create virtual clients from the server OS. How can I tell if the VM created a GPT virtual disk?

Remove all drives except the one you want Server2016 on. Presumably you want it on Drive 2?

Personally, I'd move the data from the 300GB partition, wipe the whole drive, and start over with an empty drive.
That's a good approach, hadn't thought about that.

Thanks for the suggestions

Inside the VM - open Disk Manager, right-click onto the disk drive (not volume), "Properties".
Outside the VM: Mount the VHD from Disk Manager.

brancamonti

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016

It says it's an NTFS formatted disk, inside the VM. Also, I used VMware, I'm not sure if I can mount the vdisk from disk manager