Can't play audio from smart tv to headphones

diaztho1

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
I just bought a new tv. It's the samsung UN40K6290. I wanted to have the sound come to my headset instead of through the speakers because I am currently living in a dorm on campus so I don't want to disturb my roommates.

What I tried to do is connect a digital/analog converter to the TV via Toslink and then connected my headphones to the other end of the converter which has an input for a headphone jack. I am able to hear the TV sounds ( things like a ding or something when navigating through apps/ buttons on the TV itself) but I cannot hear anything when I try to watch things like Netflix or YouTube. The video plays but I cannot hear anything through my headphones. I am not able to use the TV remote to adjust the volume either. My headset doesn't have a volume controller so I tried to connect an amp(FIIO E6) which did have volume controls but that didn't work either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: Here is a picture I whipped up real quick to make things possibly easier to understand.

Also the TV is set to "Audio Out/Optical" and there are only two formats to choose from: "PCM" and "DTS Neo 2:5". I've tried PCM but it didn't work and I don't know what the other one is so I haven't tried it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Audio 2
P Audio 2
R Audio 2
R Audio 2
G Audio 1
U Audio 1
T Audio 1
B Audio 1
T Audio 3
I Audio 8
J Audio 1
M Audio 4
N Audio 3
T Audio 7
V Audio 2
Mastersaofan Audio 1
D Audio 1
S Audio 1
S Audio 1
S Audio 5
Similar threads
Question HELP: How to hook up TVEars Analog to Samsung Smart TV, w/no Audio Out or Earphones
Question Connecting headphones via wire to Samsung Smart Curved TV
No digital audio out on Samsung smart TV UN65KS8500FXZA
Solved! Help with audio on Samsung Smart TV
Solved! My tv (Lg 70” smart) has only one audio out. Can I connect analog headphones to this, then through a DAC and still get soun
Crown smart tv doesnt have a 3.5 audio outup ,what should i do to connect to a jbl charge3 speaker via 3.5 cable?
how to conect to audio out put
Solved! Smart TV Audio to 5.1 PC Speaker System
What type of audio wire do I get to connect new Samsung smart tv brand new paid $330 for it @Best Buy (not sure of model) but
Can I get TV Audio out of my Samsung M5300 ("Smart" TV) to my retro receiver thru Chomecast
How can i connect my samsung smart tv to my klh audio system with optical cord to get soundal
How to play 2 separate audios on 2 separate playback devices
Audio stops working when smart tv is connected
problem connecting samsung smart tv with 5.1 active speakers using 5.1CH HDMI Audio Extractor Decode AC3/DST to 5.1 Amplifier
No sound from my smart tv how to audio get?
Smart TV + Sound Bar won't detect audio from PC via HDMI
What kind of audio cable do i need to hook up my Bose Wave Radio to my LG smart tv
Sound bar + wireless headphone +PS4 (no game audio through headphones)
My Samsung 32ins smart television AF842TF only has a digital audio out optional socket there is no headphone jack and I also c
No audio output on Samsung Smart TV and want to use philips wireless headphones

ASK THE COMMUNITY