Solved! Can't properly transfer TV sound to sound system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2019
I know this problem is as old as the hills, but I still can't manage to find anything precise about my case, even though it seems pretty basic to me.

I have a 32" LCD LG TV, model: 32LG60-UA (2008). I also have a Durabrand 5.1 sound system, model: HT-3917 (2007).

When it comes to audio out, my TV only has "digital audio out" ports: optical and coaxial.
As for my soundsystem "audio in" ports, it only has two sets of RCA L/R (white/red) ports, one "DVD" and one "AUX", that are on the back of the subwoofer.

I need to mention that the soundsystem works really well with my turntable, which has a native RCA L/R (white/red) "audio out" cable connected through it.

I bought this cable to connect my TV "Coaxial" audio out port to my soundsystem "RCA L/R" audio in ports: https://www.amazon.ca/AmazonBasics-...ocphy=9000562&hvtargid=pla-300184837335&psc=1

The thing is: The audio seems to get to my soundsystem, but all I can hear is white noise and a few sounds of anything is being played on my TV.

My questions are:
Why do I only hear white noise on my soundsystem?
What should I do to make the sound transfer properly from my TV to my soundsystem?

Thanks a lot.

Solution
You're dealing with incompatible signals: digital (optical TOSLINK and coax -RCA) and analog (RCA red and white). Digital signals must be converted to analog by a digital-to-analog converter (DAC). Your sound system needs an analog signal and that's why your coax RCA cable didn't work. The "white noise" you hear is the unconverted digital signal.

Here's a DAC you can plug your optical or coax cable into and then connect the L/R RCA cables from the DAC to your sound system's AUX input. This one is USB powered (0.5A), but has no power supply. A cellphone wall charger rated at least 0.5A will work. Or choose a DAC with an included power supply...

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
You're dealing with incompatible signals: digital (optical TOSLINK and coax -RCA) and analog (RCA red and white). Digital signals must be converted to analog by a digital-to-analog converter (DAC). Your sound system needs an analog signal and that's why your coax RCA cable didn't work. The "white noise" you hear is the unconverted digital signal.

Here's a DAC you can plug your optical or coax cable into and then connect the L/R RCA cables from the DAC to your sound system's AUX input. This one is USB powered (0.5A), but has no power supply. A cellphone wall charger rated at least 0.5A will work. Or choose a DAC with an included power supply.
https://www.amazon.com/Converter-19...ocphy=9012005&hvtargid=pla-663747450891&psc=1

Reactions: guizmopeg
Solution
Jul 11, 2019

Here's a DAC you can plug your optical or coax cable into and then connect the L/R RCA cables from the DAC to your sound system's AUX input. This one is USB powered (0.5A), but has no power supply. A cellphone wall charger rated at least 0.5A will work. Or choose a DAC with an included power supply.
https://www.amazon.com/Converter-19...ocphy=9012005&hvtargid=pla-663747450891&psc=1
Thanks for these infos! For some reason I thought since both the coax and the L/R ports were RCA ports they would work together, or let's say I hoped they would more than thought they would. Anyway, thanks for the heads up on the DAC too! I will try that.

Reactions: Sonic Illusions
Status
Not open for further replies.