Change motherboard HP dv6-6170us

ghayss_94

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Hello,

After having problems with my Graphics card i'm thinking about changing my motherboard.
While searching i found out that it has this model "641488-001" with the description from HP Maintenance guide:
"For use only with computer models equipped with a quad core processor, the Intel HD6770 graphics subsystem, and 1024-MB of discrete memory"

But i also noticed that another motherboard "650799-001" has the same look but it's GPU comes with 2048 memory instead of 1024 and HP's discreption was:
"For use only with computer models equipped with a quad core processor, the Intel HD6770 graphics subsystem, and 2048-MB of discrete memory"

If you want to read my problem in detail please check the spoiler below.

Here are some informations about my laptop:
Model: HP pavillion dv6-6170us
CPU: Intel Core i7 2630QM
Chipset: Mobile Intel HM65 Express
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6770M - 1 GB GDDR5 SDRAM
It has a second GPU "switchable graphics": Intel HD Graphics 3000

The laptop is almost always connected to a Moniter through HDMI (24" Asus)

Here is a full specs list:
http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-dv6-6170us-15-6-core-i7-2630qm-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-6-gb-ram-750-gb-hdd/specs/

And this a link to my Intel hardware identification report (dropbox):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ey7ecq3h64sttv9/siu_report_0332%207826.htm?dl=0
But it shows that i have two intel GPUs.

GPU:
http://gpuboss.com/graphics-card/Radeon-HD-6770M

CPU:
http://cpuboss.com/cpu/Intel-Core-i7-2630QM

HP partsurfer:
http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?type=PROD&SearchText=LW215UA

My problem in detail:
i was just using Photoshop on my laptop yesterday and suddenly my laptop freezed completly
so i had to turn it off using the power button then i tried to start it again but it stopped after showing the windows 10 logo screen and then the fan went on maximum speed and then it went off (possibly because of over heating).
Windows 10 system repair didn't offer access to advanced boot to enter safe mode and even a system restore wasn't possible so i tried to reset my bios settings and take the motherboard battery and i kept trying things until i magically got access to the safe mode.
Everything was ok i turned the laptop to power saving mode instead of high performance and i restarted it.
It didn't work directly but i tried a few hours later and it suddenly worked.
I was programming with C++ and i thought the laptop is now ok and i needed more performance so turned it again to high performance mode but everything freezed again and i had to turn it off again.
After that i lost access to my windwos again and i kept trying without success and eventually i was able to reset windows and keep my files.
After starting the resetted windows everything worked as it should i reconnected my 24" Asus moniter through HDMI "it's connected almost the whole time to my laptop.
Suddenly after a minute everything froze again and after the restart the laptop stopped the hdmi connection to the monitor and switched to a 1024x768 resolution and with a quick check in the device manager it showed me that both graphic cards are deactivated.
I tried to change drivers and everything but it comes always to the same result "total freeze".
I was only able to activate my Intel card but that didn't bring anything and the resolution stayed the same.

I'm pretty sure that my ATI card is broken but i would like to know if i'm correct and if it's only the Ati card and not also the intel one.
If you have any experience/advices with such problems please help, i'll really appreciate it.

I only would like to know if it's possible to buy the 2G version instead of the 1G because prices are the same.
Thanks in advanced guys.

Solution

PTOWN GAMER

Estimable
Dec 5, 2015
You cant change the gpu since they are mounted onto the motherboard permanently, you cant get them off. If you change the motherboard, it might not have the same GPU. So you cant really do anything about it. I would not send it to the shop for repairs, cause the laptop will just come back slower than before.

ghayss_94

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

i don't want to remove the GPU i know it's not replaceable.
what i want is to replace the whole motherboard with another one.
I just would like to know if i can buy another motherboard that looks the same but have a different model number and/or GPU or in this case just more memory for the memory than the original one.
The laptop is not slow at all i just replaced the HDD with SSD and it works like a charm, i'm writing actually from it now!.
I even play Fallout 4 and Battlefield 4 on it & it's on and connected to a monitor almost 24/7.

ghayss_94

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
!!UPDATE!!
After a little messing around i managed to get full resolution "1366x768" and to activate and install a driver for my Intel GPU and it's working now.
But my ATI is still deactivated/broken so i think i still want to replace the motherboard.

Any advices/opinions guys?

PTOWN GAMER

Estimable
Dec 5, 2015
you know ati doesnt exist anymore right, its now AMD. and ati was never really reliable, i think you should get a new motherboard with the same socket as the cpu, you can then put that cpu into the new board. And its hard to find a board that will fit and have the same socket.

ghayss_94

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

Here are the two HP motherboard models:

1G GPU version (the same model that i have) "641488-001":
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20151208203646&SearchText=641488-001

2G GPU version (the one that i'm asking about) "650799-001":
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20151208203659&SearchText=650799-001

there are plenty of identical HP Motherboards with different GPU's but they support Sandy Bridge CPU's.

PTOWN GAMER

Estimable
Dec 5, 2015

get the 2g then. cause it will be better for games

ghayss_94

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

you mean it will not interfere with other parts of the laptop (Wlan card, ram, fingerprint ....etc.)?

PTOWN GAMER

Estimable
Dec 5, 2015

nope cause you will just take the ram out of you old motherboard and put it in the new one. And they are exactly the same only difference is the 2g, which is the graphics card memory.

all you have to do is just connect the Cpu, Ram, Hardrive, Wifi card and the cables to the new board. and then you will have a better laptop then you had before. easy.

Solution

ghayss_94

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Update!

I finally got the motherboard and today i replaced it and reassembled my laptop and turned it on.
The fan works and the keyboard light goes on but nothing is displayed on the screen.
I double checked everything and all the cables were connected correctly i tried to put only one ram or connect another moniter with vga or hdmi but without success.
The screen goes on as i can see its light but that's it!
Do you think it's broken or is it a compatibility issue?

ghayss_94

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

Another UPDATE!
It actually works i think the BIOS was a little bit confused because i didn't get the chance to reformat my HDD/SSD.
So after a few restarts and leaving the device for a longer period on i restarted it to try it for the last time and it magically worked with a CMOS error which took me to a page to choose my OS from it but none worked so i just rebooted and installed my windows.

conclusion:
i did notice a little bit more of GPU performance in some games and i think it was a 100% good choice to do that.

[26.01.2016]
I noticed a problem with my Wireless-adapter, the signal is really weird and unstable and if i were close to the router it doesn't connect to it, especially to my university wifi, i don't know if it's a windows 10 problem or a hardware problem... :S

PTOWN GAMER

Estimable
Dec 5, 2015

Just plug in a USB wifi dongle, Netgear makes good ones.